PDA

View Full Version : Parts needed 59 Lark

moose
11-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Looking for a new steering bell crank assemble for a 59 lark. Also
a 61 to ? saginaw steering box to fit a 59 lark in good condition.
any help will be welcome.Thanks Moose:)

N8N
11-18-2006, 08:01 PM
I don't have the parts you need but are you looking for the bell crank pivot, or the bell crank itself? If the former, you can get a rebuild kit with a new pin and new bearings or bushings as appropriate and it will be good as new. If the latter, you need to specify if you have power steering or not (if PS, you need one with the extra "arm" for the ram.) While you're in there, make sure the pinch bolt is grade 8 and torqued to spec - 65 ft-lbs. IIRC. If it's not tight enough the bell crank will wobble on the pin, causing extra steering play.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

John Kirchhoff
11-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Moose, what part of the country are you at?

kamzack
11-18-2006, 08:43 PM
I've always had good success with the bearing type. They are a little more forgiving if a grease interval is missed. The bushing type doesn't seem to have as long a life. This from having driven Studebakers daily and long trips frequently. The bushings I believe came along mid 62. I guess it was one of thier cost cutting measures.
There's one on ebay now, don't know what type it is, it'd be worth taking alook at.
Nate is absolutely on target with pinch bolt. I didn't take the time once to look and see what the slop was all about, so my front end guy wasn't far away so took it to him, said all was ok with front end, he just torqued the pinch down and should be good for a while longer.
Thanks for letting me share,
Kim

moose
11-19-2006, 08:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff

Moose, what part of the country are you at?
East coast Uncasville Ct. 06382 Thanks Moose

kamzack
11-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Hey Moose,
I was diggin around for a part I needed for my Hudson Friday and I think I saw a pin and bearing set. If ya still need it, let me know and I'll verify and respond. I probably won't need it for awhile, and could send it to ya. I assume your car is the 55 Starlite you've listed on your posts.
Tanks,
Kim

kamzack
11-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Hey Moose,

Ain't too smart, your post calls for 59 to 61, so forgive my not paying attention. I recently traded a junk 59 2dr sedan(rusty beyond restoring) to a guy I've gotten interested in Stewds. He saved all the glass, dash, plateable bumpers, seats and frame, scrapped the shell. I'm sure the steering box is still on it and without the body on it and steering column jacket on it, would be easy to remove and ship along with the bellcrank. Let me know how I can help,
Kim

moose
11-19-2006, 02:35 PM
KIM I AM LOOKING FOR A SAGINAW STEERING BOX ONE OF THE GUYS ON THE BOARD SAID THAT THEY CAME ON THE 61 TO 63 LARKS AND HE SAID THEY WERE A BETTER BOX. THANKS moose
quote:Originally posted by kamzack

Hey Moose,

Ain't too smart, your post calls for 59 to 61, so forgive my not paying attention. I recently traded a junk 59 2dr sedan(rusty beyond restoring) to a guy I've gotten interested in Stewds. He saved all the glass, dash, plateable bumpers, seats and frame, scrapped the shell. I'm sure the steering box is still on it and without the body on it and steering column jacket on it, would be easy to remove and ship along with the bellcrank. Let me know how I can help,
Kim

John Kirchhoff
11-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Moose, I have a '61 Champion setting behind the barn with the Saginaw steering gear, bellcrank and all that stuff. I don't know how much shipping on a bulky item like that would be, but if you can't find something closer to home, let me know. By the way, I'm in Missouri.

moose
11-20-2006, 08:31 AM
John will the steering box from the champion bolt right into the lark or do you have to change things?What are you asking for it?
New to studebakers so i am not sure what fits what. As far as the bell crank pivot goes i heard that the ones that have the bearings are better.Thanks Moose

John Kirchhoff
11-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Moose, I believe interchanging shouldn't be a problem but I'll check to make sure. It'll be a few days since it's now dark or nearly so when I get home from work. I'll get back with you and don't worry, I won't stick it to you if things will fit and you want it.