This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporate board meeting minutes?

Does anyone know if the Studebaker corp. board meeting minutes are preserved from at least 1963 to 1966? We occasionally get into why they closed the South Bend plant and all, but I just got to wondering if there is a written record of what might have been said in some of those critical meetings. I'm especially interested in the meeting where Egbert was booted out (or did he resign?). I figured the museum might have the minutes, but has anyone seen them?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

I asked Fred Fox, the Studebaker expert, that same question years ago. He said he didn't know of any. I hope they are somewhere. They sure would be interesting!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I asked Fred Fox, the Studebaker expert, that same question years ago. He said he didn't know of any. I hope they are somewhere. They sure would be interesting!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

The board minutes are in the archives at the Studebaker National Museum.

Comment

The board minutes are in the archives at the Studebaker National Museum.

Comment

That is good to know. Do they let anyone read them?

Comment

That is good to know. Do they let anyone read them?

Comment

One of the best Studebaker books available that quotes extensively from Board Meeting minutes from the mid 1950s on is Donald Critchlow's excellent "Studebaker: The Life and Death of an American Corporation." (Indiana University Press 1996). This book is a fascinating "must read" for anyone interested in the history of the corporation. Styling, model year sales information etc. is lacking in this book but on purpose. Mr. Critchlow focused more on the corporate side of things. The book really reads like an exciting novel and I would recommend it to anyone interested in the corporate side of Studebaker. It discusses in detail why Studebaker did what it did, and examines, like the Board did, various avenues that could have been taken by the Corporation at the many crossroads Studebaker found itself approaching during the postwar period. In all too many instances the Board, to borrow a phrase from Yogi Berra, "came to the fork in the road and took it."

I believe I purchased my copy from the SDC Museum and have re-read it several times.

Studedude1961
                --1963 Cruiser

Comment

One of the best Studebaker books available that quotes extensively from Board Meeting minutes from the mid 1950s on is Donald Critchlow's excellent "Studebaker: The Life and Death of an American Corporation." (Indiana University Press 1996). This book is a fascinating "must read" for anyone interested in the history of the corporation. Styling, model year sales information etc. is lacking in this book but on purpose. Mr. Critchlow focused more on the corporate side of things. The book really reads like an exciting novel and I would recommend it to anyone interested in the corporate side of Studebaker. It discusses in detail why Studebaker did what it did, and examines, like the Board did, various avenues that could have been taken by the Corporation at the many crossroads Studebaker found itself approaching during the postwar period. In all too many instances the Board, to borrow a phrase from Yogi Berra, "came to the fork in the road and took it."

I believe I purchased my copy from the SDC Museum and have re-read it several times.

Studedude1961
                  --1963 Cruiser

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Studedude1961

One of the best Studebaker books available that quotes extensively from Board Meeting minutes from the mid 1950s on is Donald Critchlow's excellent "Studebaker: The Life and Death of an American Corporation." (Indiana University Press 1996). This book is a fascinating "must read" for anyone interested in the history of the corporation.

I would also add the softcover book. 'Studebaker~Less Than They Promised' by Betty/Furlong/Pennington which reveals many of the plans that were in the board minutes. Some of the more interesting portions are why Egbert fell out of favor with the Board of Directors, which included 3 questionable acquisitions; TIA and Domowatt which were both losing money, and overspending on Franklin.
                    That explained why the banks (and the Board of Directors) wouldn't advance or approve anymore money to finace the Automotive Division, and 'Plan B', the liquidation of it took into effect. The book may be out of print, now, it might still be found at a swap meets.

Craig

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Studedude1961

One of the best Studebaker books available that quotes extensively from Board Meeting minutes from the mid 1950s on is Donald Critchlow's excellent "Studebaker: The Life and Death of an American Corporation." (Indiana University Press 1996). This book is a fascinating "must read" for anyone interested in the history of the corporation.

I would also add the softcover book. 'Studebaker~Less Than They Promised' by Betty/Furlong/Pennington which reveals many of the plans that were in the board minutes. Some of the more interesting portions are why Egbert fell out of favor with the Board of Directors, which included 3 questionable acquisitions; TIA and Domowatt which were both losing money, and overspending on Franklin.
                      That explained why the banks (and the Board of Directors) wouldn't advance or approve anymore money to finace the Automotive Division, and 'Plan B', the liquidation of it took into effect. The book may be out of print, now, it might still be found at a swap meets.

Craig

Comment

"Studebaker Less than they promised" is avaliable on Amazon.com, another book that I am reading is "Packard, a History of the motor car and the company" It has alot information on why the company did what it did in the last days.

Randy_G
                        1959 Lark (project)

Comment

"Studebaker Less than they promised" is avaliable on Amazon.com, another book that I am reading is "Packard, a History of the motor car and the company" It has alot information on why the company did what it did in the last days.

Randy_G
                          1959 Lark (project)

Comment

Randy is right...the Packard book is another very good source of information for Studebaker-Packard from its formation until the end of Packard. I have not seen "Studebaker...Less Than They Promised" for sale anywhere for a long time but it too is a very good book and delves into styling plans as well. All the books mentioned here are must-haves if you are a Studebaker addict (a malady shared by most of us).

Studedude1961
                            --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Randy is right...the Packard book is another very good source of information for Studebaker-Packard from its formation until the end of Packard. I have not seen "Studebaker...Less Than They Promised" for sale anywhere for a long time but it too is a very good book and delves into styling plans as well. All the books mentioned here are must-haves if you are a Studebaker addict (a malady shared by most of us).

Studedude1961
                              --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X