gale banks and studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gale banks and studebaker

The leader in gas and diesel emissions compliant performance parts for Chevy, GMC, Ford, RAM, Dodge, Jeep, RVs and more. Trusted by millions.

DOHC Studebakers, Mickey Thompson, and Manhattan project physicist Richard Feynman

#8220;My favorite car was the #8216;53 Studebaker Starliner coupe,#8221; says Banks. #8220;The first time I ever saw one it was heaven. It was narrow and long, the perfect Bonneville car. I said to myself, I#8217;ve just got to get one of those.#8221;

"Those heads were the remnants of Agajanian#8217;s 1952 Indianapolis campaign using the new Studebaker V8, with DOHC heads designed by Miller-Offy legend Leo Goosen. Only two complete engines were ever built, both of which broke."

The story about the DOHC heads is interesting but I have to wonder about it. The engines were with J. C. Agajanian in 1973 when we were trying to get them.

David L
    David L

Comment

The story about the DOHC heads is interesting but I have to wonder about it. The engines were with J. C. Agajanian in 1973 when we were trying to get them.

David L
      David L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 64Avanti

David L
        And IIRC the guy who owns Speedway Motors, Bill 'Speedy' Smith owns these engines and the cores for the heads.

Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 64Avanti

David L
          And IIRC the guy who owns Speedway Motors, Bill 'Speedy' Smith owns these engines and the cores for the heads.

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

We talked a lot about the Stude Indy DOHC before the Omaha Int'l meet a couple years ago.
            Lot's of pic's and links here....
            Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

We talked a lot about the Stude Indy DOHC before the Omaha Int'l meet a couple years ago.
              Lot's of pic's and links here....
              Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

And yes I know how all of that happened. It is really a long and involved story. Actually he should have all of the tooling and drawings.

David L
                David L

Comment

And yes I know how all of that happened. It is really a long and involved story. Actually he should have all of the tooling and drawings.

David L
                  David L

Comment

Here's the link to my pictures of the DOHC Stude motors...

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here's the link to my pictures of the DOHC Stude motors...

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

What a great-looking motor. You wonder if some enterprising type would attempt a reproduction if the drawings were available. It's amazing what is coming back from the dead engine file....

'53 Commander
                        '53 Commander
                        Art Morrison chassis
                        LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ralt12

What a great-looking motor. You wonder if some enterprising type would attempt a reproduction if the drawings were available. It's amazing what is coming back from the dead engine file....

I'd say the odds are slim to none, unfortunately.

It cost $225,000 to do one in 1952. How much do you think it would cost today?

Head casting, machining, cams, valve train, gears, chains, intake system, exhaust, etc.

If you did it and sold maybe 10 sets (?) you'd probably have to get at least $50,000 per set to break even. I doubt if the CASO's would be standing in line for them.

The Stude DOHC engine is just about as nifty as they get, however. []

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'll tell you what, if all we're talking about is heads and induction, it's a lot less expensive than you think. A custom long block as well would be stretching it, though. Folks are making new 427 SOHC heads and all the related gear, and this enterprising Italian went so far as to create a scale model of the Ferrari 312 PB--that runs! ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUMDY01uUA ) Pretty amazing. You might even be able to make one from billet, depending on how involved the details were in that era. Like this W-16 machined from billet-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU32Q...eature=related
                            And if you could build one unit, digitized on SolidWorks or one of the other good CAD/CAM programs, it'd be a question of pressing the button.

'53 Commander
                            '53 Commander
                            Art Morrison chassis
                            LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

quote:You wonder if some enterprising type would attempt a reproduction
                              quote:I'll tell you what, if all we're talking about is heads and induction
                              quote: it's a lot less expensive than you think.
                              FWIW, the Agajanian/Utzman twin-cam Studebaker Indy engine has been a fascination and a hobby of mine for many years. If a reproduction were ever to be available, one would think I'd be first in line. However, knowing a bit about it argues otherwise:

1. The straight-cut gear train driving the cams howls like a banshee.
                              2. The front gear train cases are almost impossible to seal. Think a stock Stude V8 leaks?
                              3. The engine is HUGE. Take an already wide and tall V8 architecture and DOHC heads make it a LOT wider and taller.
                              4. It's not just "heads and induction", it's an entire gear train, front cover castings, camshafts, valves, tappets, springs, water pumps, oil pumps, exhaust, rods, pistons; everything except the block and crankshaft would have to be designed and manufactured.
                              5. And the fact there is not now and never has been even a new camshaft or a quality performance intake manifold successfully marketed over the entire fifty-seven-year history of the Studebaker V8? That the few short-lived low-budget attempts to provide parts which might have had a wide appeal died a painful death still discussed on this forum today?

Yes, it theoretically could be done. No, even though we enjoy all the links, knowing there are other lunatic-fringe projects going on around the world, it doesn't persuade this one is viable. Yes, we'd love to see it happen.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X