She Dies then she's Cranky" Update"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She Dies then she's Cranky" Update"

I have been having trouble with Mabel lately. Ran down the freeway last night got to the top of the off ramp and no engine noise apparently when I let off the gas on exit of the freeway she quit running. So there I am on the top of a hill 6 o'clock traffic and no one wants to go around me so that I can pop the clutch backwards so's I can get going again. So off to my left is a Motorcycle Officer he just finished his Ticket and a Truck stops to help me out. Well the Officer stops Traffic so I can roll backwards to get the right angle to go right down the hill so I can be safe to restart her if she wants too.
    Well once we get over there she slowly cranks again at least now I can hear her and starts and off we go. Just filled her up have a non working locking gas cap on her electric fuel pump. Temp according to my gauge was 210 degrees. This isn't the first time that this has happened this was the scariest though.
    Two weeks ago same thing happened left me out in the country. Coasted into a friends Driveway borrowed stuff he wasn't home knew how to get into his shop well it helped that he forgot to lock the door. No access to a phone she I don't have a Cell phone although I know that they come in handy. I Just don't want to answer them. That's what I have an answering machine for. Anyhow used his battery charger to get Mabel Cranking better and she finally started. I proceeded to drive her to Davids shop and left her there and I stole Gus .

So here's the problem
    After warm running down the freeway let off the gas she dies doesn't want to start slow cranking. Have a starter with 4 field coils. Battery tests fine. New plugs points, condenser, changed twice for another problem.
    She just dies sometimes also she won't shift into overdrive also I Think that's another problem too. So many random stuff.
    Mabel is a 1949 Champion with a 185 in her fresh rebuild.
    We are thinking carburetor. What do you guys think?

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    1957 Golden Hawk
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

I had a similiar problem I fought for a year. May not be the same with you but in my case she would stall out after a long run or highway speeds and have to crank forever before getting started again. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel pump, everything I could think of. In the end, it ended up being my old fuel tank was lined by the previous owner and the lining was flaking off and partially plugging my lines and fuel filter. Ended up getting a polyerothane replacement tank and she has run like a champ ever since.

Comment

One easy thing to do is to check the carb float to make sure it is at the correct level. Check the shop manual and it will tell you how to set it. Mine was not set right and would die at highway speed and take forever (15-45 minutes) to start again. The float would too low and didn't allow enough gas to fill the carb for it to run. Bent the float arm to specs and it immediately started running perfect.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

One comment about cell phones,Anne.
        Nobody says it has to be turned on!
        I have one and it's for "emergency use only"
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Yeah I know I like to use my ingenuity to get me through. So far it has worked fine. I had a pager once never turned it on and never gave out the number.
          Edited for spellin
          WEll don't I feel dumb. I was tryin to spell ingenuity had it all wrong and lo and behold I right clicked and looked up above the copy paste choices and what did I see was the choices of the correct spelling. now there's alot of you guys that knew this but I think that there is alot more of us that didn't know how to use it. I sure hope this helps. Cause boy do I feel dumb

Mabel 1949 Champion
          1957 Silverhawk
          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          1955 President State
          1957 Golden Hawk
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

So if someone calls you in an emergency and they can't get ahold of you because it's turned off how smart is that? [V]

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 50Champ

quote:Originally posted by bob40

So if someone calls you in an emergency and they can't get ahold of you because it's turned off how smart is that? [V]

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan
              That's easy.....you only turn it on when YOU have an emergency![:0]

Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Thats the way they were supposed to work you the holder of the phone only used them in an emergency. They weren't supposed to be your home away from home phone. They were for freedom not to tie you up so you couldn't get anything done. Cell phones are just a big annoyance to me. And I for one can Live without one and do.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                1957 Silverhawk
                1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                1955 President State
                1957 Golden Hawk
                Fresno,Ca
                Mabel 1949 Champion
                Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                Fresno,Ca

Comment

I think the key you mentioned was slow cranking speed.

Being a 6v, and getting hot, sometimes they do not turn over as fast as they need to. Suggest: Check timing, then battery circuit, including solenoid, cables, ground strap (motor to frame) cable, ground strap (copper strip between solenoid and starter) & clean connections. Try running a heavy wire directly to the starter.

Although the battery may be "good", it may not be "great" - it needs enough cranking amps to turn the motor over quickly. Sometimes new 6v batteries are short of the task. Since the battery wears out slowly, it may now not be up to the task.

The six volt starters also have the following issues: worn out brushes, moisture swelling the field windings then rubbing against the armature.

Good Luck

Paul

Comment

Sounds like you may have a couple of problems. First the slow turning--if you have a 4-field starter it should crank fine. When the new engine was installed, was the ground put back on? Grounds seem to me to be the most common electrical problem. I would check and clean all grounds. That could be the overdrive problem too.

As for the dying after a freeway run, that sound like carburator to me too. Do you have any old hoses on the fuel supply system? This new fuel eats up the old hoses and the disintegrate inside, plugging everything up. I would replace any hoses with new stuff made for oxygenated fuel and clean and adjust the carb.

Hope this helps Mabel feel better

Jeff

Comment

I still have a land line.Anyone who knows me
                      knows to call the home number.
                      Next time anyone gets into a near accident as
                      the other driver was talking on their cell and
                      not paying attention ask yourself "how smart is that?"
                      Sounds like your getting great advice on Mabel,Anne.
                      Sure she will be purring like a kitten shortly.
                      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I don't know what size battery cables you have on your car,but six volt needs much larger size than twelve volt. "O" gauge wire it seems to me, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. You might also try adding an extra ground cable from the engine to the frame. Good Luck Lou Cote

Comment

1 -plausible
                          2 -possible
                          3 -likely
                          4 -certain

I suspect all the random issues >>could (might!!)<< actually be related, to a common system electrical issue but I don't like to $wap part$ until I feel my diagnosis score is about 3.5

Spark - I've had a few GM and Ford cars that developed intermittent no run/no start problems. Each time my first step was to carry a new test spark plug and a remote starter switch for an on-the-road answer to the spark/no-spark question. The answer each time then was no spark or random spark when hot or running for a while. The solution was not points appropriate, because the GMs all had ignitions with electronic modules residing inside the hot distributor region, and those modules were popular and in stock at parts stores and even some Walmart.

Fuel - If the spark is good when parked beside the road, a basic fuel test is to look for a squirt from the accelerator pump when the throttle linkage is stroked (unless the gas pedal was recently feverishly pumped trying to coax life). A MUCH better test has been a fuel pressure gage plumbed in the fuel line close to the carb inlet, to evaluate the complete fuel delivery circuit in one fell swoop, including fuel lines, filters, pump, tank pickup, etc.
                          Running the line outside the car to a gage taped to the windshield is strange looking, but safer than running a fuel line into the interior. For some reason These days, As a mature upstanding adult, I can get away with goofy stunts much better (cops ignore me) than when I was 19. Or maybe back then it was because I'd secured the swapped-just-for-a-test run license plate to the 55 Chebbie with woven twigs, not wire or bolts.

Overall electrical power delivery - A visual cable inspection is important, but at best a half measure. I've known 2 Fords whose battery positive cables developed invisible internal problems. No gremlin can hide from a voltage drop test. In fact, in about 2 minutes, the voltage drop test will make it easy to "see" if the gremlin is a dirty battery connection or an undersized cable, or both. Whenever I am suspicious of electrical connections, adequate cable size, or cable or solenoid condition, I do a voltage drop test across joints and cables of a circuit while UNDER POWER before touching a wrench or heading to the parts store. For the starter circuit that is while cranking.
                          For 6 volt systems the acceptable values are 1/2 shown here.

If a voltmeter was rigged to the battery side of the coil it would reveal if the ignition system was getting full voltage at the time of the mysterious stalling.

Comment

Ok so we are working through the Problems on Mabel. David finally looked at her today he spent so quality time with her. We had a spare Carburetor for her so David took the Carb of and adjusted away. Made it worse. Took it back off again total of three times but finally she seems to run good now. He found the positive connection to the relay on the starter was not as tight as it should be so he moved it around and tightened it. Tomorrow I am going to try again to find a new battery cable OO so far I have only found #2. An old battery shop that I know will make me a new one in 00 tomorrow so thats just insurance. David found that the fuse on the overdrive was corroded so he cleaned that up and put dielectric grease on it. I haven't drove her down the freeway yet I will tonight so that we can see if she is cured. Keep your fingers crossed.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                            1957 Silverhawk
                            1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                            Gus 1958 Transtar
                            1955 President State
                            1957 Golden Hawk
                            Fresno,Ca
                            Mabel 1949 Champion
                            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                            Gus 1958 Transtar
                            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                            Fresno,Ca

Comment

IF all the solutions are fruitless, then check the wire that comes into the distributor and to the points. It can short. any short can be on and off.

Comment

Working...
                              X