starting motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting motor

well tried to start my motor tonight with no luck. the starter will just not turn the motor over quick enough. i just got it back from the rebuild shop this afternoon and it works great just the motor is tight. we wanted it tight but not as tight as it ended up being so now it is a pain to get started. anyone have any ideas on how to get it to turn faster. after i get it started i am sure it will loosen up but i just can't get it started the first time i have even tried removing everyother plug in the firing order and it helped but just not quite enough. asy suggestions would be great

Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR
    57 Silver Hawk
    Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Kevin, how many field coils does your starter have? If it only has two, find one with four and put that in. I had the same problem after the engine in my 54 Commander was overhauled. The two coil 6 volt starter couldn't handle it, particularly when the engine was hot. Found a four coil starter from a car with an automatic trans, swapped drive end housings and put it in. Problem pretty much solved, although I still took advantage on any downhill grades I could find!

Terry Godkin
    Surrey, British Columbia
    2l7 Dictator Custom Sedan
    54 Commander Starliner

Comment

it has four

Kevin Phillips
      Jacksonville,AR
      57 Silver Hawk
      Kevin Phillips
      Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

Kevin,

if you have the stock Delco starter that should fire it up no problem, as far as I can tell the 12V delcos were the best starters ever to leave the factory under a V-8 Studebaker. As a nasty hack, do you have a spare battery so that you could fire it up on 24V for an initial fire? Are you sure that your bearing clearances/end play/etc. are right and that everything is well lubed?

good luck

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I'm not sure I would put 24v through the system. I have put a 12v in parallel to a 6v to start a 6v car.

I would first try another battery 12v battery in parallel for additional amps. If I tried 24v, I would be tempted to take 2 12 volts in series (i.e. 24v) and run that in parallel with the existing 12v. (i.e. three batteries)

Look up the other threads on starting up a rebuilt car engine - especially lubrication. Some use a drill to prelube the engine through the distributor hole.

The 12v starters were quite good, and presuming the battery and cables are good, it should turn over. (have you load-tested the battery?, and are the cables known to be good, and is the ground strap still attached from the frame to the motor?) Sometimes the solenoid does not carry enough current.

Good luck, and keep on trying.

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X