bench or buckets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bench or buckets?

ok, I'm tired of working on the wiring, the engine, the brakes, the exterior, time to do something else, the interior....

I've got a '52 Land Cruiser, and it's ending up no where near stock or original... it has come time to hit the pick-n-pull this weekend to look for a steering wheel, a couple odds and ends, and seats...

so, the back, a bench seat of course, but the front? hmmm, bench or buckets? not sure how I feel yet...

anyone have any "thoughts" on this, or words of wisdom, perhaps know of seats either way that might fit in my beast that I should look for? any recommendations on seat belt issues? I do have the ash complete ash tray assembly from the back of the front seat, and the odd chain that ran behind the front seat... could incorporate them back in or not... depends on where I go with this...

to check out what she was, and what I have been up to...

Thanks for any ideas!

Personally, I like the idea of Chrysler Sebring buckets with the seat belts built in. You can kill 2 birds with one stone with those & have the rear seat upholstered to match. There was a thread on these seats recently, so you can use the search mode for more info.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I guess it's just me, but I think a Luxury Car like a Land Cruiser deserves a nice big soft overstuffed Lincoln, Cadillac or Chrysler BENCH seat! Some have fold down (back) center arm rests, head rests and plush velour or Leather...perfect! [^]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Busmark181

it has come time to hit the pick-n-pull this weekend to look for a steering wheel, a couple odds and ends, and seats...
        You mean you're not keeping that cooool steering wheel in the car now...
        [:0] [V]

Why not [?] [)] [?] [)] [?] [)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

What Rich said. Keep with the 'luxurious' Land Cruiser name.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Course, if you go with buckets you can build a cool center console... Saw this one on the net.

from this car...

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Vegas paul used a Toronado seat in his. Check this thread.

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

If it were a coupe or two door sedan, I'd say buckets, but the Landcruiser needs a bench. IMHO

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

For a car used on the road, buckets trump the bench every time. Its amazing how you tend to sway around (on curves) on a bench seat. The buckets hold you in place.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  (Under Construction 510 hrs.)
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

A bench seat would look more regal (pardon my pun), but if it was mine I'd go with a set of buckets from a 80's or 90's luxury car (ex.Chrysler New Yorker,Lincoln LSC or Cadillac Seville).If you get lucky and get the console as well,that would look SCHWEET IMHO.Good luck on whatever you decide!!

Comment

Will those seats fit in a 62 Hawk?

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Personally, I like the idea of Chrysler Sebring buckets with the seat belts built in. You can kill 2 birds with one stone with those & have the rear seat upholstered to match. There was a thread on these seats recently, so you can use the search mode for more info.

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Comment

The Toronado seat I put in mine is officially a bench and will accomodate 3 passengers. However, it has the look of buckets due to the foam shaping and upholstery treatment. The middle "seat back" folds down for an armrest when no one is sitting in the middle, giving it even more of a bucket seat look.

Comment

The Toronado seat I put in mine is officially a bench and will accomodate 3 passengers. However, it has the look of buckets due to the foam shaping and upholstery treatment. The middle "seat back" folds down for an armrest when no one is sitting in the middle, giving it even more of a bucket seat look.

Comment

Does anyone have a leed on Sebring Convertible seats? I'd really like to test fit before shelling out the $$ and find they don't work. But I'll do what I have to do. These have to sit lower than what I have. And has anyone taken one apart to see the frame work around the head rest retractor? Thats gotta be hidden.

Any thought post here or email me thanks.

ChopStu
                            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

You might check out Dodge intrepid seats. They have a 50/50 bucket setup that looks a lot like a bench when the center arm rest is up. (the arm rest has storage and flip out cupholders).
                              The rear seat is also unique. They look much like the front, but the backs fold forward to access the trunk. But the best part is the construction of the rear. The fold down pieces are in a plastic frame that can be cut down to size quite easily. Tough to find in leather, but fabic ones are plentiful and cheap. I bought a set, with perfect fabric for $100.00

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
                              "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Working...
                              X