PDA

View Full Version : 1963 R2 Hawk dilema

nels
10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I have a 63 factory R2 Hawk 4 spd project that I have been trying to sell. I've had several sincere inquiries about buying the complete R2 engine but no one seems to be interested in taking on the whole project. It seems rather odd that the car is worth more in parts than as a whole especially a car with significant pedigree.
I've officially lost the storage space so the car is coming outside with a tarp. I'll probably brush paint it with epoxy primer as a temp deterent from the weather but it looks as if it will be getting parted out. I just hate to be the executioner.
Question.....Am I nuts???

PackardV8
10-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi, nels,

Most any non-running-in-parts-project Studebaker is worth more sold by the piece in parts than as a one-price-pile. Name a SDC member who doesn't want a spare R2 engine. Name one who doesn't already have more than one unfinished project for which there is not enough storage.

Second, an engine can easily be shipped on a pallet box. Most shipping companies want nothing to do with a car in parts. If it isn't a complete roller, it probably can't be cost-effectively shipped at all.

Having said that, give me a shot off-forum with more details, where you are and a bottom line price. I'm in the market for just such a project.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

wolfie
10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi Nels,I think I might have already talked to you about this car about a year ago.If Jack doesnt work something out with you let me know.There is a local guy here that wants an R-2 hawk.He is really looking for something ready to drive but please send me the info on this one again before you part it out.It does seem a shame to see a factory supercharged car go to parts.Maybe I can push him a little harder towards it.I would love to have it myself but money is just not coming in and going out much faster than it is supposed to this year.Thanks,Steve

JDP
10-15-2008, 12:52 PM
OK, now you have our interest again. No way should the car be parted. Why not post the info again and see what happens.
Condition, what's missing, can it all be packed in the car and be put on a trailer , bottom line cash price. I need a winter project.:)

JDP/Maryland
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson

bams50
10-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Nels, I'm glad you posted here. I've seen this on the Swap Page for a long while, and was surprised no one made a deal on it yet. I hope somebody can buy it and save it from being parted- it's too important of a car to be lost. I've got a car coming that is the same- unwanted but too significant to let it be parted out; or I might try to do something even though Hawks aren't my thing.

Coincidentally, here's an Avanti that appears to be a similar situation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Avanti-R-2_W0QQitemZ110299914015QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewI tem

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

JDP
10-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks, I'm on that Avanti.:)

JDP/Maryland
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson

bams50
10-15-2008, 03:43 PM
I was sure you would be- you could almost push it home;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

JDP
10-15-2008, 03:57 PM
If the frame and hog troughs are bad, I have air tools and parts boxes.:)

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

jlmccuan
10-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread, but on that Avanti what is the deal with the intake on the drivers inner fender?

Jim
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/AvantiSignature.jpghttp://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/AvantiSigB.jpghttp://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/Logo/RabidSnailSignature.jpg
_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing

JDP
10-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm guessing a desperate attempt to cool the driver.

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

bams50
10-15-2008, 04:53 PM
So there you go, John- Buy Nels' car for a project and the Avanti for parts! Puts you right back in business;)

Parish, central NY 13131

nels
10-15-2008, 11:20 PM
The Hawk is a roller so to speak. The engine and trans and drive shaft are out and would need to be loaded seperately. Most of the parts have been hung back on the car when I was doing inventory. The blower (working), blower brackets, carb, air cleaner etc are in the trunk.
The car needs lots of dents taken out, some minor rust repair, a deck lid replaced, interior redone and the rest of a resto effort. It is solid underneath, great frame and torque boxes. Engine done yrs back with oversize Ross forged pistons but I would pull the pan and revisit the situation as its been a long time since rebuild. Car looks terrible but it isn't. Its also pretty complete. I've been asking $8500 which is probably pretty fair but I will talk price as I need to sell it and I would like to see it stay in one piece.

58PackardWagon
10-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Any pics of the Hawk?

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
62 Daytona (White)
63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
57 Packard Wagon parts car
57 Packard sedan parts car
58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

nels
10-15-2008, 11:38 PM
I can probably get some pictures soon as the car will be out in the sun. It is now tucked in a tight garage spot which makes pictures kind of tough. I am also in Denver Co at the moment and won't be back in Cincinnati for a week or so. The car is being moved this week to a friends place.

wise raymond
10-22-2008, 07:21 PM
hi nels raymond wise here iam am interested in your 1963 r2 gt hawk complet i curently live in manchester england but i am moving back to ontario canada. i am looking for a seriuses project the car would not come to england. i would like to talk i will be in hamilton ontario this sunday october the 26th until nov 18. you can reach my via email www.raymond_wise.1852@yahoo.co.uk 3 question. what colour is the interior what colour is the exterior whats the size of the biggest hole. i have a buddy with a barn in southern ontario to store it for the winter the car would be restored. to be a good weather summer driver thank you.ray wise

rawise

Steve T
10-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Raymond--

FYI, Sunday 26th there's a swap meet in Ancaster, just southwest of Hamilton. Probably not much Stude stuff, but still, it's an old-car event at a time of year those are scarce. Hamilton Stude plant still stands in good nick in the city's east end...If perchance you're also into airplanes, don't miss the CWH museum at Mt.Hope Munro Airport either. Half the flyable Avro Lancasters in the world live there. Where in southern Ontario are you coming back to? There are two very active SDC chapters hereabouts whose members will welcome you heartily...Course there's every chance you already know all that! Just offering it FWIW...and if you do garner the Hawk, she'll be more than welcome here too. Several nice GTs in the Hamilton chapter.

Cheers

Steve T

am not r2
10-23-2008, 05:03 AM
Nels I am in the same boat and feel your pain.

[u]http://www.geocities.com/mmrrlatorre@verizon.net/studeinterior.html?1201961160364 </u>
My mom is (I Have) been trying to find a buyer for a 64 hawkR2 (4sp,full pkg)in parts and same deal holds. parts please. don't want the whole car.

[u]http://www.geocities.com/mmrrlatorre@verizon.net/stude.html?1201960668026</u>
I want the car saved and yes it would kill me to be the one to part it out.
the car sits in Az and I am in upstate NY, the only reason it is still in one chunk.
The house is for sale too and if that goes I am in a pickle. How do we save the one's we love?:)Rich

64 Daytona HT
64 GT R1 Hawk(pkg)
Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

am not r2
10-23-2008, 05:07 AM
my links are good,but I cannot fix them, start at www.geo....and they will work. Biggs help me! I am computerly challenged and cannot send links to this forum.Rich

64 Daytona HT
64 GT R1 Hawk(pkg)
Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

wise raymond
10-23-2008, 06:31 AM
hi steve thank you for the invite. i don,t know if i can make it to ancaster i,am going to try and catch the 4:30pm out of manchester saturday night witch arives into toronto 7:30pm your time if not it,s the 12:30pm on sunday witch it arives 4:30pm you time. fingers cross. lol. iam tring to buy my parents house in winona. I use to be long to both the hamilton & the ontario chapter back in 1991. some still remember me when i come back to visit family & friends. i,am going to try and make it to reedsville on the 7&8 of nov if all goes to plan. i uesd to work at bay king motors on upper james st hamilton. the summer of 95 work in the services bays fixing customers squeakes rattle wind noise on there new cars. hope to run into. my email address has to big of under score it should only be a small line between raymond wise but the dot 1852 looks right.

rawise

Dick Steinkamp
10-23-2008, 09:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by am not r2

my links are good,but I cannot fix them, start at www.geo....and they will work. Biggs help me! I am computerly challenged and cannot send links to this forum.Rich

Here's your links, Rich.

http://tinyurl.com/647ctj

http://tinyurl.com/57ofsu

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg

JDP
10-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Rich, I'll call about your R2 when I get back from Atlantic City.

JDP/Maryland
Thomas Jefferson

nels
10-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Well I made it back from Denver this afternoon. While I was out there, Studeski and I worked out a deal over the phone on the 63 R2 Hawk, so it looks as if Claude will now join the R2 Hawk club so to speak. He is willing to restore the car rather than break it up.

Steve T
10-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Yeah! Another one doesn't bite the dust...glad to hear it.

S.