the Studebaker and Hummer Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Studebaker and Hummer Connection

As we toured the Studebaker National Museum yesterday, Bob Andrews (bams50) and I had a question - what is the tie between Studebaker and Hummer? Of course, this may be old, old news for many of you, but there might be a couple more of us newbies out there!

This was brought about by the HMMWV and Hummer display and many Hummer articles for sale in the gift shop. I had recalled looking up the relationship before, but couldn't recall it, so I did a little light research here tonight. Here is what I found:

"March 3, 1964 - As the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana went out of business, Kaiser-Jeep entered into a novation agreement with Studebaker to assume a contract for the manufacture of military trucks. The Chippewa Avenue Studebaker Plant was purchased." (http://www.humvee.net/misc/history.html)

Remembering there was more (thinking there was some tie to Curtiss-Wright), I kept looking and found this:

"AM General's roots (and its location in South Bend) lie with the "General Products Division" of Studebaker, which, along with its substantial defense contracts, was acquired by Kaiser Industries in early 1964 after Studebaker closed its U.S. auto manufacturing operations. American Motors Corporation (AMC) became the owner when it purchased the Jeep Corporation from Kaiser in 1970 when Kaiser decided to leave the auto business. In 1971, AMC made the General Products Division of Jeep (producing contract and non-commercial vehicles) a wholly owned subsidiary and renamed it AM General Corporation" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_General)

So it boils down to - the HMMWV and the Hummer have ties to Jeep (there once was a lawsuit that said the grille of the Hummer was too similar to the Jeep grille), but also AMG (AM General) was derived from American Motors and Studebaker - General Products. The HMMWV, The Hummer, The H2 and H3 all are descendants of Studebaker and all of those 6x6's and B-17 engines built for WWII.

[edited for typos]

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Thanks for the info. It was interesting and new to my ears even tho I've been into studes since 1987.

Comment

That must be the connection in my garage,black hummer sitting beside a black stude avanti both super charged.paxtons.

gh

Comment

When I was still into Full-Size Jeeps, we used to talk about how H1s (rather than today's Grand Cherokees) were the real, true descendants of the original Jeep.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

And now we know, George. Thanks! But they still seem out of place to me at the Museum; like that whatever-it-was on the turntable in the front window[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

that was an Aston Martin Vantage

--george

Comment

That,to me is just 2 spaces wasted which could used to display 2 mores 'Studes. I haven't seen the Aston Martin,but the Bummer has been there since the new museum opened.
              Heck,get rid of the Bummer and gain enough space for two Studebakers!

Oglesby,Il.
              "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

That,to me is just 2 spaces wasted which could used to display 2 mores 'Studes. I haven't seen the Aston Martin,but the Bummer has been there since the new museum opened.
                Heck,get rid of the Bummer and gain enough space for two Studebakers!
                Well, then, you'll be disappointed to know that at least HALF of the second floor currently has NO Studes, but a bunch of MGs or something like that- a lot of little cars that aren't Studes The prototypes (except the Predictor) have been banished to the basement; which also has a few Hummers[|)]

I try to look at the bright side, which is, I saved time being able to skip over a big portion of the car display area on this visit

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Well,Bob,I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder what the idea is behind That??? I love to go there to see STUDEBAKERS. Hence the Name "Studebaker National Museum". I surely won't go there to see a bunch of Brand-Xs!
                  Maybe we need to petition someone at the museum? Like: lets get the Studebakers out of moth balls,and display THEM, which is what the museum was built for.[?]

Oglesby,Il.
                  "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I suppose there's an explanation; maybe it's a money-maker. But I sure would have loved to have been able to get a look and some pictures of the wooden Hawk measuring fixture (on an upper rack in the dark) or a few of the others along that shadowy wall in the basement.

I guess the answer is, I'll just have to keep going back![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

At the International Meet in SB in 1997 a bunch of us had the opportunity to visit and tour the Hummer Plant. At that time there were still signs of the old Studebaker plant inside. So you are correct the connection is simply that the plant was the Studebaker Truck Plant and will always be that in my mind. of course i am just a simple minded person anyway.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The answer to the question of WHY the foreign junk is taking up space @ The SNM is becauseThe SNM has been putting different aspects of the Automotive Hobby on display as a draw to increase attendence and revenue. Before this display,they had a display of Muscle Cars,including a Hayden-Proffit racing Galaxie.Bringing in fans of other makes also shows off Studebakers to those who might not have otherwise stopped in. There is a finite supply of Studebaker lovers around South Bend,so exposing others to the SNM might result in some cross overs to the Stude Side, and additional revenue will help assure OUR FAVORITE Museum will be around for awhile.

Comment

The way I see it is that the museum needs to keep itself relevent.
                          By having special exhibits during the year, they can attract those who've seen the previous exhibits and the museum stays fresh.
                          I can't say that I blame them. They have to continue to justify their existance. There are still plenty of beautiful Studebakers on display.
                          Keep the faith.
                          Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Hey Bams, Did you see my old Zip Van? Last time I was there it was shoved over into a corner of the basement. NT

Neil Thornton
                            Hazlehurst, GA
                            '57 Silver Hawk
                            '56 Sky Hawk
                            '51 2R16 dump truck
                            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Neil, I did see the Zip van! Still in the same corner of the basement. Being that I want one myself, I actually sat in the seat while I took video of it[8D] Still looks great, and I still wanted to sneak it onto my tow dolly

Over the weekend I'll post a thread with my Museum video and you'll get a look at it- including the inside[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X