Seeking Tire Pressure Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Tire Pressure Advice

I'm in a conundrum as to what to do about my tires. According to the shop manual for my 1950 Champion convertible, the front tires should have 26lbs, and the back should have 24lbs.

However, when the tires are inflated as prescribed, they look deflated, especially the back tire.

I've been keeping the tires at about 30psi, which "looks" right (the tires have a max psi of 35), and normally I don't drive the car very far or very fast, so I don't worry about it. However, I'm getting ready to drive it up to the Florida State Meet, so I'd like to have my tires inflated properly for the trek.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you still running the original type of tires?

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

You have to remember, those numbers are for 58 year old tires.

Are you running bias ply or radials?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Whether you use bias ply tires or radials, I've found that if you put the same pressure front and back, the back end gets squirly. Keep the front two to three pounds harder. I keep my radials at 35 and 32.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction 510 hrs.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Whether you use bias ply tires or radials, I've found that if you put the same pressure front and back, the back end gets squirly. Keep the front two to three pounds harder. I keep my radials at 35 and 32.

Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 510 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars
          Right on Tom! I have found the same thing. On my Studes with a rear sway bar/heavy duty springs, I normally run 2 psig higher in the front. On the other ones without the rear sway bar, I've found that 3 or 4 psig in the front seems better to me.

Added info via 'edit': in my case, the pressures noted apply to RADIAL tires on V8 cars.

Just my opinions and findings tho.....others' experiences/likes/dislikes may be different.

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Interesting comments. I've always run about 30 lbs front and back in the original bias ply tires on my car. They ride rough until they warm up, but I never noticed any bad handling.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
            "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, they're Broadway Classic steel belted radials. They're the same radius as the originals (r15), and I'm assuming the same width (not sure how to convert 6.40x15 [manual size] to P205/75R15 [tire size]).

And not to switch the subject, but everyone asks me how much horsepower my engine has. I just laugh and tell them 21.6 (which is what the manual says), obviously they changed the definition of horsepower somewhere through the years. How do I find out how much "modern" horsepower my car has?

Comment

I think 85 horsepower for the little 6,someone will pipe up if thats wrong.The 205/75 is considerably larger than the original 6.40's.Even the super hard to find 195/75 is a good bit larger as it replaces the 6.70-15.Steve
                sigpic

Comment

The rule of thumb is to go by the tire manufacturer's recommended press. usually near the max on a radial is needed to firm up the lower sidewall. Now-days 35 is normal, never use the car manufacturer's tire pressure on older cars.

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X