My SASCO visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SASCO visit

While in SB yesterday I went to SASCO as planned. I met up with Tom Bredehoft's (TomB) son George (Claymore WW). As always I loved the visit- loved the building and loved looking over all the NOS Stude stuff there... it still boggles my mind! This was only my second visit, the first being during the International Meet in June 07. Things have been moved around a little bit, but it's mostly the same as I remembered. The back portion of the building has been closed off, leaving the main room and the sheet metal room to the right.

I got some stuff I wanted, struck out on some. I asked Dave for door panels for my 62 Daytona, and 63 Wagonaire, all in red. He went out and looked and came back with nothing for the Daytona; but 3 red panels and one not for the Wagonaire. Also scored a new vanity for the Wagonaire- blue, but can easily be dyed (hopefully it's the same with the door panel!). Didn't have the trim piece with the "vanity" script or the mirror, but Dave found me a NOS piece to go on it. Cool!

One note- I have this picture I took during the Meet showing this sign:

So I was a little surprised when David charged me $65 each for the panels![:0] And, the vanity has been talked about in the $40 range, but it was $130. I'm not complaining- heck, where are you going to get actual original 45 year old brand new parts? I'm just saying, the prices were more than I had expected[B)]

So George and I spent about an hour or so there, then headed to the museum; but that'll be another thread

Video tour to come this weekend...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Bob--

I've got a wine-red vanity from a 63...acquired it same time and place as the two spare quarter panels, but of course whereas the fenders would fit my 62, the vanity decidedly wouldn't! If you could use it (maybe fit the dash panel to the front of your NOS blue one?), you can have it...email me and we'll set it up. There's a chance I may try to make Reedsville next month too...you going there?

S.

Comment

Yes, I'm interested! And yes, I'm going to Reedsville!

I'll be in touch.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Sounds like a great time!

I'm betting the $25 per panel was a special meet price.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Here's the video as promised:

Recorded on October 18, 2008 using a Flip Video camcorder.

Note: It's just a basic look around, and only the two rooms, since that's all that's open to the public. It's intended to be just a basic tour for those who have never been; the veterans probably won't be interested. Also, it's a little shaky- still practicing steadiness while moving[xx(]

Another point: I have been asked why I don't narrate my videos. The reason is, my voice doesn't lend itself to... well... speaking[:I]

So have a look if you want.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

These went to the bottom fast today, so I'm giving them one bump...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

These went to the bottom fast today, so I'm giving them one bump...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Kind of sad how quiet it is there...When I was there last summer at the meet it was a busy place!!!

Comment

Kind of sad how quiet it is there...When I was there last summer at the meet it was a busy place!!!

Comment

Yep- me and George were the only people in there. Of course, it was first thing in the morning- on a holiday Monday... the phone did ring frequently, though.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Yep- me and George were the only people in there. Of course, it was first thing in the morning- on a holiday Monday... the phone did ring frequently, though.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                      X