Hawk window problem "tipping"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk window problem "tipping"

A while ago I asked the question "what would make the window tilt" There were alot of good answers however I have isolated the problem. My car was in a multitude of small collisions one of them being a hit to the driver's side door. I had my doors removed and glass, channels and felt installed. The driver's side door had to be sent twice because once it got back to the shop the window would "jump" out of the front metal channel. I have the car home now and can work on it at in quiet. I see now that because of the collision the door is "off" the regulator is out of line with the normal up and down travel of the window. I don't know how to fix this, it's funny I bought a set of doors from reedsville and two weeks ago I had the bright idea to have the driver's side painted new channel and glass put in because the sheet metal had a moon in it. If someone leaned on it it would pop in, it could be popped out just as easily. If not for that purchase I would be up the creeksometimes living right comes in handy. The tipping problem is caused by the window popping out of the metal channel, the small triangle at the bottom of the frame comes out and you can't get the window to roll up or down.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Just because the outer sheet-metal is damaged- it should not affect window operation. It is more-likely a track adjustment problem. Be sure to check the upper and rear window-tracks for loose or missing felt/cloth. If it is loose, it will cause binding and the cloth may "roll-up" creating a bind. Also be sure the PINS that hold the glass-track to the regulator are not worn, and have the correct washer and retaining clip.
    **NOTE- The following is for the door window of a 1953-1961 Coupe-Body
    • Remove the inner door panel
    • lower the window until you can see the stop-screw head attached to the regulator. Loosen it and drop it to it's lowest adjustment point (get it out of the way)
    • Lower the window until the TOP is even with the felt cat-wiskers of your door.
    • loosen the FRONT track's lower phillips head star-washered screws. Making sure the window is bottomed in the rear window channel- pull the FRONT channel TIGHT against the triangular guide on the window-track. tighten the BOTTOM screws.
    • Roll the window UP until it is completely closed and bottomed in the TOP and REAR window channel
    • Loosen the UPPER 2 screws for the FRONT window run. Pull the run rearward until it is snug against the triangular guide on the window-track. Tighten the screws
    • Lower the window until it is even with the cat-wiskers and slide the window-stop against the regulator arm- tighten the screw.

The window should operate correctly

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Yes, I followed that proceedure and it will go up fine, whe I lower the window the triangle pops out of the metal guide. I took a rubber mallet and hit the area where the regulator bolts to and got it to line up a little better however this is mute because I will be swapping the door out wednsday. When it comes to the window channel what holds the bottom of it to the frame? The hit may have bents something I just can't see however it is the culpurt. I will use your method to adjust the new door thanks

Studebakers forever!
      Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
      X