PDA

View Full Version : Safely in SB

bams50
10-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Delivered the Wagonaire to Rich D. (ChampTrucking) today. For the stat-interested:

609 miles door-to-door
Total time of trip: about 10 hours
Moving time: 9 hrs. 25 minutes
Stopped time: 31 minutes
Moving speed avg: 64.7 mph

Stopped time includes one gas stop, 2 pit stops, toll booth stops, one ATM stop.

Trip went flawlessly- no traffic jams, no construction delays, good weather. MASSIVE deer carnage[xx(] One I saw was deer vs. Prius- both BIG losers in that one Tires on the dolly were almost bald; but had somewhere around 10K on them in the three years since it was new; so I put two new ones on, checked the bearings, loaded the car and hit the road. Left 5am.

Unloaded the Wagonaire and we pushed it into Rich's garage. Went to my hotel room and changed and Rich took me to the Bonnie Doon drive-in for a cruise-in; awesome place! More (and pix) on that later.

It was fun to meet Rich and Julie- what great people! One problem- Rich has a deceptive streak. He mislead me- I thought we were going to an Owl museum, but instead he took me to a place where scantily-clad young ladies bring you plates with pieces of dead chicken[:o)] These "wings" were tasty, but the name (Hooters) is sneaky- I didn't see any owl info...

Seriously, I enjoyed the drive, made some new friends, and tomorrow it's off to SASCO and the Museum with George (Claymore). Life is good![^]

P.S.- Still looking for a parts car to tow home. Had to pass on Erin's although I REALLY wanted it- 3:45 from SB (206 miles)... then 680 from there home[|)] Just couldn't do it:(

Pix and video to follow;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

[b]"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

showbizkid
10-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Glad you made it, Bams. Have fun at SASCO and the SNM... don't forget that there's a basement!!!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
www.studebakersandiego.com

ClaymoreWW
10-12-2008, 10:50 PM
I'll be there about 9am, Bob!

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
http://www.teamwetworks.com/claymore/larkkey.jpg

ChampTrucking
10-12-2008, 10:51 PM
OK-Let me hijack this thread to say THANK YOU to Bob for the delivery of another Studebaker to my overcrowded mess,and for helping me lift off a F*@d truck bed. Now that I have 2 Wagonaires inhabiting the garage,one is going to have to go,so if anyone might be interested,I will post up the details of what it is in a day or so.The short list is that it is one of 938 -1966 Wagonaires made,and one of the 618 V8 wagons made that last year. As far as the deceptive streak goes,Bob went so far as to reward bad behavior by buying me dinner,which makes him at least 50% GUILTY! And he brought me a supply of my favorite brown pop,Yuengling Black and Tan! Thank You again Bob. It was a pleasure to meet you and I count you as a friend.Have a safe trip home and enjoy SASCO!!

A1956GoldenHawk
10-13-2008, 07:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

<snip> Seriously, I enjoyed the drive, made some new friends, and tomorrow it's off to SASCO and the Museum with George (Claymore). Life is good![^]

Don't forget to take your camera along with you to SASCO ...the last wall of Studebaker Building # 72 (Machine Shop/Engine Assembly) right next door to SASCO should be coming down today.

The older I get ...the better I was!

bams50
10-13-2008, 11:20 PM
...And I'm back home. Exactly 9 hours driving time; that's with the cruise on 73. About as smooth a trip as I've ever had. I filled up in SB and jumped on the Interstate. Drove 480 miles, about 7 hours, without a stop; just call me King Bladder-O'-Steel;)

Had a good time in SB today; met up with George Bredehoft at SASCO, filled my basket there, then went to the SNM and spent a lot of time (and a few bucks!) there; reports and video on both coming later. Looked at what's left of the SB lathe building- basically just the facade is all that's still standing. Somehow I forgot to take pictures[}:)] After George and I parted ways I stopped off at Paul Pszikszai (I think I spelled that right!) and got a tour of his impressive collection, and 2 free FOMs!

So, great trip, great time, met some more truly quality folks; doesn't get any better than that![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"