Studebaker Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Video

Start line staging and on board camera for Studebakers at the 2008 hill climb.

Clicking the above link should take you to a You Tube video of Studes running at the 2008 Newport Hill Climb. This was my first attempt at You Tube posting.
    If the link doesn't work for you, just go to youtube.com and search for: Newport 2008 onboard

The video was taken with a Flip camera mounted on the outside mirror. I edited it down to ten minutes to get it onto You Tube. Other make cars had to be cut out to get most of the Studes in since that is what most here are primarily interested in.

The time for the car that just ran can be heard on the loudspeaker.

Ted Harbit makes a cameo appearance at the end of the video. He appears as a normal person carrying a huge bag of kettle corn.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit Addition:
    The announcer is a little confused between this 55 Commander and the old Speedster which ran in the straight shift class. The Speedster ran 22.80 seconds a few years ago for the post war record. Last year this Commander ran 22.63 seconds, this year was 23.08 seconds.

Some of the times you hear announced are for six cylinder cars which may have been in either stick or the automatic class. It was very satisfying to see the number of Studebakers running this year.

Lark Parker
    If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice.
    sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

EXCELLENT, Dale; the link came up fine and the video was very good. Some audible wind noise once the car got up to speed on the hill, but that's to be expected. It certainly gives viewers the best-yet experience of "running" Newport Hill. [8D][]

Suggestion: Maybe edit your original post to verify your time on that run, in case anyone misses it on the audio, and how that time compares to your record in The Speedster and previous best in this car.

Great Idea with the mirror-mounted camera! Cool Beans. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Cool video Lark, I really enjoyed watching it. Thanks for sharing it with us.That has to be one of the very few times I have seen Ted incognito
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Enjoyed it.It's great to see what has been discussed here.
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

That is too cool, and too much fun!

The hill didn't look like much to me, until you started up it.

That Henry J sounded BAD!... for a Henry J. <G>

Thanks for sharing... sharing takes effort.
          DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
          It is a little deceptive.
          The hill is still a huge challenge for the oldest vehicles. The start line is on a slope and you can see the assistant starter putting his chock on a stick behind the rear wheels.

If you were to walk up the hill you would want to put your hand down like you do when you walk up a steep roof. Since you can get a bit of a run at it, for the later cars, it has become just an interesting 1/3 mile drag against the clock.

This year was pretty good at the top. Some years a newby public defender will park so as to block the straight bail out route in case you can't make the curve. Perhaps their idea is to block incoming traffic(?) I did use that road once when the road was wet and I had riders that I didn't want to put in jeopardy.

You can't know what is over the crest until you get there. This year was the cleanest that it has ever been for obstacles. No people, cars, cats, dogs, wolverines, manta rays .........
          They do have a safety warning system to turn on a red abort light that the driver could see during the climb.

Lark Parker
          sigpic

Comment

So, here I am watching COLD CASE and I click on this video. Then realize the video is TEN MINUTES long, oh well, I shall survive by watching the video and listening to the tv. Then panic at 6 minutes into the video. The tv show has 2,TWO, count 'em 2, Studebakers driving down the highway. I almost missed it. One looked more like a Packard to my uneducated eye, but the other was about a 56 Hawk maybe.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

In just 14 minutes, the tv detectives have now found the original registration for one of those two Studebakers. It's a 1956 and was sold to Myer's Junkyard in 1964.

Remember, it's just a tv show.

Comment

Well, it was a '56 President. Yellow and white. Anyone know whose it is?

Comment

Thanks for the video, Lark Parker.

Made my day to see a few Studes running all out!

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

That sure didn't look like a very steep hill to me....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

GReat Video thank you for posting. Do you have a secial editing program for movies. I'm trying to get one that I shot down to ten minutes so that I can post it on youtube?

Mabel 1949 Champion
                      1957 Silverhawk
                      1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                      Gus 1958 Transtar
                      1955 President State
                      1957 Golden Hawk
                      Fresno,Ca
                      Mabel 1949 Champion
                      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                      Gus 1958 Transtar
                      The Prez 1955 President State
                      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                      Fresno,Ca

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman

GReat Video thank you for posting. Do you have a secial editing program for movies. I'm trying to get one that I shot down to ten minutes so that I can post it on youtube?
                        I have the editing program that came on the computer with Windows XP.
                        It is called Windows Movie Maker. That was the first time I tried using it. I chopped down the 25 minute film to ten minutes.
                        It was easy but I didn't try and do anything like Titles or fade outs as I just wanted to get it out and to You Tube without losing it.
                        I did manage to screw up the Flip camera and it is now a 35 minute camera instead of a 60 min camera. That disaster was unrelated to the editing program.

Lark Parker
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for sharing this cool video. What a fun event...
                          How fast were you going when you crossed the finish line?

Andy
                          62 GT
                          Andy
                          62 GT

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Andy R.

Thanks for sharing this cool video. What a fun event...
                            How fast were you going when you crossed the finish line?
                            Andy
                            62 GT
                            I don't know, Andy.
                            The speedo isn't working due to a gear change.
                            Maybe about 80mph. It is difficult to accellerate once you are on the steep part so the finish speed isn't impressive.
                            I calculated it once on the Speedster from the tach, gear and tire size and got 84mph.
                            A speed gun on one of the fastest Fords a couple years ago was 79 mph. That was probably more accurate.

If the speedo was working right I wouldn't look at it. There is a potential for over the hill surprises and it is time to brake down for the curve.

I don't multitask well.

Lark Parker

sigpic

Comment

Hey great Dale....now there's another place I need to go ....never ends

LANCASTER or BUST
                              "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                              1964 Daytona HT
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X