TW wants YOU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TW wants YOU

I realize that this forum serves many uses, one of which is instant gratification. If you have some story to tell or some pictures to show, you need only a few moments to post them here and "voila", there are responses within minutes. "Great work", "beautiful", "good story", and so on.
    That's all well and good. But do you realize that there are at least 12,000 more people who might want to read that tale or see those photos, and experience vicariously the thrills that you relate?
    Now, if you took the time to submit this same adventure or those same photos to Turning Wheels, there could come a time when "hard copy" immortalizes your submission.
    You won't get instant gratification, I'm afraid, because you are writing in a vacuum and cannot interface with your audience. But I think it's still worth it. And I want to see it!
    We're not out of material (yet) but it never hurts to have too much rather than too little. On this forum are many good writers and good photographers. Turning Wheels can brag for you in a subtle way. Try it!

Art - TW cheerleader

Gotcha Art!... Two things:
    I'm still trying to figure out a way to send you by electronic means a high enough resolution picture for you to print in TW instead of burning a CD and sending via snail mail.

And, I have already bored SDC members with my stories in our Chapter newsletter, so am unsure what "captivating" feature I could create.[B)][:I]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

I think you hit the nail on the head concerning "instant gratification". I know that I've sent things to TW in the past and never heard whether it was even received. On this site, there is no doubt. I realize that it's probably impossible to respond to every submission. But when you ask for a specific picture to be sent via email and then fail to respond one way or the other as to whether or not the resolution was sufficient, I think you're sort of shooting yourself in the foot, so to speak. That being said, I love TW. Can't wait for it to arrive each month....read it cover to cover. You guys do a great job. Some things just fall through the cracks.[)]

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

I didn't realize that by posting, I would be inviting more work, in this case to answer Arkiejazz.
        We went to Lancaster this year leaving TW offices in the dark. When we returned there was snail mail 12 inches deep and emails of a couple hundred awaiting us. There were also phone messages, some from irate members who couldn't understand why TW was not open 24/7.
        Besides being a full-time job for more than one person, we are asked to answer requests for everything including how to fix a transmission. I am not exaggerating or trying to be funny. And I'm not complaining; it's great work.
        BUT, it means we do not respond to every email or letter. Sometimes we have to be reminded. It's not the best situation but we can do only so much.
        I recall your truck pictures Arkiejazz, but can you tell me what date you sent them. I will go back and hunt through the 1300 emails currently in my inbox. (Saved because I thought I might need to look at them again)
        I would like to know the reason I failed to respond. Giving me a date will narrow my search. Thanks

Comment

to Mark57:
          In the time you have been trying to figure out how to send an email, you could have snail-mailed a CD to me and your truck could have been on the cover delivered to your door.
          However, don't give up trying to solve your dilemma.

Comment

You do an awesome job getting Turning Wheels done every month Art~

don't let a few of the over 12,000 members bring you down!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

LOL! Mark, if it's the CASO effect that's kept you from mailing a CD, I volunteer to reimburse your outlay to do such!

Mono, I've thought more than once about the scenario you put up. IF there's even 10K memberships that don't see something here, does putting something up here first serve to negate the subsequent worth of it a couple months later in TW?

Hey - I confess - instant gratification's a powerful incentive here. It's no small part of why I'm on the threshold of 10K posts![:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Art~ I forgot to mention- I have several older stories that have been seen only in newsletters. Once I'm able~ they'll get updated and sent off to you. Maybe one day they could show up on SDC's Story page as well...[?] [?] [?]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

I didn't realize that by posting, I would be inviting more work, in this case to answer Arkiejazz.
                  We went to Lancaster this year leaving TW offices in the dark. When we returned there was snail mail 12 inches deep and emails of a couple hundred awaiting us. There were also phone messages, some from irate members who couldn't understand why TW was not open 24/7.
                  Besides being a full-time job for more than one person, we are asked to answer requests for everything including how to fix a transmission. I am not exaggerating or trying to be funny. And I'm not complaining; it's great work.
                  BUT, it means we do not respond to every email or letter. Sometimes we have to be reminded. It's not the best situation but we can do only so much.
                  I recall your truck pictures Arkiejazz, but can you tell me what date you sent them. I will go back and hunt through the 1300 emails currently in my inbox. (Saved because I thought I might need to look at them again)
                  I would like to know the reason I failed to respond. Giving me a date will narrow my search. Thanks
                  No, my memory isn't nearly that sharp. It was several months ago. Really it's no big deal. Just thought it was unusual not to get a reply after you asked for the pictures. Also, in response to StudeDave, I made it a special point to give Art a pat on the back at the same time I was voicing a concern. I was in no way trying to get anyone "down". I do appreciate the quality and timeliness of TW and have said so several times.[)]

http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

LOL! Mark, if it's the CASO effect that's kept you from mailing a CD, I volunteer to reimburse your outlay to do such!
                    He** no, Mr. B. that has "0" to do with it.[] It's the simple fact I can walk by the computer and read and respond to a few posts without any effort, or much time.
                    When it comes to sorting through photos and burning CD's it's much more involved - probably why my wife does most of the family photography![:I]

But, I will get to it, Art's post has spurred me to at least bring it to the front of mind instead of the back burner. And like Mr. Blake, I can't wait for my monthly fix of TW which gets read cover to cover in this house as well. [8D]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                    May 23 & 24, 2009?
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

We're NOT "down", Arkiejazz. But I really would like to find your photos.
                      It's a good thing I can save emails on the computer. If everything were "hard copies", the paper would bury my computer on this desk.

And my lunch...

Comment

Art..
                        I sent you some pic's a while back on a USB flash drive (I 'think' Ann has it)..
                        If you want... Go ahead and keep it and use it as a round robin pic file source for SDC members to send you large pic files.
                        If a member has a bunch of pic's to send you, you could either send it to them, or format it and return it in exchange for a flash drive full of Stude pic's...
                        Just a thought.
                        Jeff[8D]

I realize that this forum serves many uses, one of which is instant gratification. If you have some story to tell or some pictures to show, you need only a few moments to post them here and "voila", there are responses within minutes. "Great work", "beautiful", "good story", and so on.
                        That's all well and good. But do you realize that there are at least 12,000 more people who might want to read that tale or see those photos, and experience vicariously the thrills that you relate?
                        Now, if you took the time to submit this same adventure or those same photos to Turning Wheels, there could come a time when "hard copy" immortalizes your submission.
                        You won't get instant gratification, I'm afraid, because you are writing in a vacuum and cannot interface with your audience. But I think it's still worth it. And I want to see it!
                        We're not out of material (yet) but it never hurts to have too much rather than too little. On this forum are many good writers and good photographers. Turning Wheels can brag for you in a subtle way. Try it!
                        Art - TW cheerleader
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This works pretty good. As of this afternoon, I have three stories on their way to TW (or promised). Now, if I could just get the attention of Mr. Steinkamp. . .
                          By the way, watch November's TW for PHOTO CONTEST!

Comment

This works pretty good. As of this afternoon, I have three stories on their way to TW (or promised). Now, if I could just get the attention of Mr. Steinkamp. . .
                            By the way, watch November's TW for PHOTO CONTEST!
                            I'm here Art. The best way to get my attention is to tell me how much you like GREEN.

[)]

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Ditto, Dave!

Comment

Working...
                              X