Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for Removing Cylinder Head Core Plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Removing Cylinder Head Core Plugs?

Atop the '55 259 V-8 head casting are (2 per head) 3/4 or 1-inch NPT-threaded pipe plugs, inset with what looks to be a 3/8" square.

Those guys are in there; I've burnt up a large cylinder of propane, been dousing 'em for month with penetrating fluid, used lots of bad words in two or three languages, bent a 3/8"-drive bar, and blown up a Craftsman rachet so far.

And advice?

Just out of curiosity, if I do wind up drilling these guys out, how far below the bottom of the plug do I have before I drill head casting metal (the kind I don't wanna hit?)

Thanx, Eddie

Need some pics, never seen anything like what you are talking about in 50 years.

Comment

if those are like the ones in SB F@rd heads, they DON'T come out, they just LOOK like they will . . .

Reviving an early Lark
      sigpic
      JohnP, driving & reviving
      60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

I've also never seen anything like this in a Stude head.

E-mail me a picture.

Mike

Comment

Between the first and last pair of cyls, inboard of the middle row of head bolts. They are very probably cast in core holes for the removal of sand from the finished casting. They are then drilled, tapped, and plugged. No reason to remove them unless you wish to really clean the coolant passages.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 510 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

I think those plugs only exist in 1951-54 heads for 232 engines. Can you find some numbers above the center exhaust port?

Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The heads on my 55 are pretty rusted but the numbers definitely end with 876. Engine No. P13822. I can't find them on Bob Johnson's Head number page.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              (Under Construction 510 hrs.)
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Eddie -

You don't need to remove them anyway..
                A complete and proper job of cleaning the heads without removing them.
                Acid dip and shot peen. That's how my heads are done....very clean, new looking.

Mike

Comment

The heads on my 55 Pres are 1537555, just it says on the page for 55-61.....

Bob Johnstone

55 President State Sedan
                  64 GT Hawk
                  70 Avanti (R3)
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Cast-in part number atop center exhaust port is 535876, (goin' by [gasp] memory[:0], here) listed in the various serial number charts as a '55 head.

When I wasn't able to get the plugs out, I fingered it was karmic force telling me, in fine Zen fashion, not to remove those things; besides, the heads need those things in place when they go to hospital to be pressure-tested. That, and I know all about those fake SBF plugs...I couldn't get them out, either.

I'll put up some pics just as soon as I can find my digital camera. "Not me" has it, don't ya know.

Me: "So, who hid my camera?"
                    Not me (my Teenager): "Not Me."

Eddie

Comment

Working...
                    X