Starter noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter noise?

On my 170 c.i. 6: I've just recently developed a nasty sound when my starter is turning, which I assume is the starter (but since I'm sitting in the car when this happens, I can't be sure!). The engine starts fine, and runs great with no odd noises after starting. However, during the cranking and engaging of the starter it sounds like there's a bucket of small bolts spinning around in my engine. The noise stops immediately upon engine start, and releasing the start (floor) button.

Does this sound like the description of a starter going bad? Time for a rebuild on the starter or any other ideas? Thanks.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Time to pull the starter and make sure the bendix drive is not chewing up the teeth on your ring gear.

Comment

Thanks, skyway. I just got done pulling the starter, and the ring gear (thankfully) looks ok. However, lots of potential for disaster here. The starter housing "nose" (for lack of any better term) that is invisible (sticks into the hole on the plate) was cracked. This part of the housing also holds the end bearing (copper ring?). Fortunately, it was one large crack and the bearing held the piece in place, however loose. I will weld this tomorrow and try it, but I suspect that since the shaft has not had the end bearing in place while "starting", that the other internal bearings may be shot. We'll see.

Comment

Good thing you found it before it completely self-destructed!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I'd replace both bearings on that armature before putting it back on if I were you. Just a lot of pump motor experience talking.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I just finished running it on the bench, and it's wobbling quite a bit - no way I'm putting it in back like this. Thanks.

Comment

Paul, the first thing I noticed was a high pitched squeak when I'd turn the ignition and starter on turning over the engine. It would start squeeling after the engine turned over several times. Like yours, it would stop as soon as the engine fired up. This went on for several years.

Then I noticed the car was harder and harder to start and the glass fuel filter bowl was slower and slower to fill. The battery cables would get very hot. I was lucky if I got it running. Batteries would go bad quickly. I thought I had a fuel pump problem making the car hard to start.

After several fuel pump rebuilds, I finally removed the starter and had it rebuilt. The starter was the problem! Not the Bendix drive, not the brushes, but all the starter bearings!They were all broken, pieces of them fell out when the starter was opened up I had the car over 35 years and had never taken the starter apart.

After reinstalling it the car turns over much more easily, fuel is delivered to the carburetor and the thing starts right up. Good Luck!Dan.

Comment

Working...
              X