Trunk hinge springs?????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk hinge springs?????????

What is the trick to dealing with the trunk lid hinge springs on a 1950 Champion? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana

I got laughed at the last time I posted this, but I'll try again. And then others will come along and give you more advice.

Back the car up to near a post in the ground. Attach a come-along to the post and a hinge which is already attached to a 'forward' spring pin. pull on the come-along to stretch the spring and then align the spring and pop it onto the rear spring pin. Stop laughing and just do it. Only took me 30 minutes for all four springs. So there.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me. Those things are so strong. It will be interesting to see what other suggestions I get.

Thank you for your suggestion and I am not laughing!

Jimmie

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

I got laughed at the last time I posted this, but I'll try again. And then others will come along and give you more advice.

Back the car up to near a post in the ground. Attach a come-along to the post and a hinge which is already attached to a 'forward' spring pin. pull on the come-along to stretch the spring and then align the spring and pop it onto the rear spring pin. Stop laughing and just do it. Only took me 30 minutes for all four springs. So there.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
      sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Slip washers (or coins) in to the springs while they are under tension. Then release the tension; also makes them easy to install.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I used a brake spring tool and it worked well for removal and installation. Good Luck

Domenic Manera
          1954 Regal Starlight Coupe
          Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
          City of York Fire Department
          York, SC 29745
          1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
          X