Almost a Studebaker Driver again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost a Studebaker Driver again!

Got the Avanti out of the Trans Shop today. Just to recap, after the 700 R4 lost first and second I decided to put in the rebuilt 200 4R that I had in my garage originally destined for my El Camino.

After at least 6 weeks of removing, replacing and fabricating it was in the week before the International meet. Took it out for a ride and had no third or fourth. Left it at the trans shop the week of the Meet but they didn't get to look at it until this week. Turns out that I didn't put the separator plate gaskets in correctly.

So, all's well that ends well right? Not Yet!

Traffic is crazy in the town I live in and I was out in the Avanti right when the schools were letting out. I wanted to feel it at highway speeds, see when it shifted at full throttle etc. so I made my way to a stretch of road I could do 50-60 mph safely, about 3 miles from the shop.

Shifts felt good, I was getting happy so I get to a nice stretch and luckily catch a light. 1-2 shifts out right at 5,000 RPM, second winding out nicely to 5,000 and then BANG! Coasting in what feels like neutral. I'm 99% sure I broke the input shaft. It's a weak link on that trans but I didn't think my R2 had the goods to pop the shaft.

The shop sent their flatbed, the Avanti is back at its second home, The Trans Shoppe, Livingston NJ.

ErnieR

Dang!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

That truly suxors.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

[}][V][xx(]

Gotta love them Studes, Ernie[)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The Stude parts have never broken! It's those GM trannies that can't handle a little R2 Power.

ErnieR

Comment

Working...
          X