ID pickup truck year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID pickup truck year

[?] I have an olde utility trailer fashioned from an olde Studebaker pickup truck rear half [frame and bed][?]. I love it. Anyway I need to replace the wheel bearings. But I have no idea of what year the truck was originally. It is still using the old original rear truck axle. Anybody have an idea of how to ID the year/model to ascertain what the propper bearings would be?....and where I might go to get said bearings.

Many years ago I had the same problem. It turned out to be easier and cheaper to remove the entire rear end and put a new trailer axle under it. Good luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

A picture of the axle you have would be the best, but if you can find the axle ID number stamped in the area of the picture above on your axle this would go a long way in determining what type you have. Such as a stamped 41, 44, 60 etc. Now theres another tag just a bit lower than that that gives the gear ratio, (not that you need that since its a trailer)

So a picture alway's helps, but the stamped ID number can be cross referenced with parts books to find numbers that you can use with Vendors.

Hope this helps
      Kevin
      SIDE NOTE : This one doesn't look as nice as John and Tracy's
      ChopStu
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

argh!....that's not I wanted to hear. If that is the situation, then I would just as soon sell it to a studebaker guy who needs the rear bed and fenders for restoration. I've got about $150 plus a pair of good used tires and some new wiring in it. That said, however, maybe your right. Trailer axles are pretty straight forward and usually pretty EZ to attach to just about anything. But for what I've got into it, I think I should just pass the trailer on to someone who really needs it and replace it with another olde trailer....but I sure love my olde trailer and new bearings sounds so EZ.

Comment

Thanx Kevin....now that IS what I wanted to hear. I'll check for the number and also try to take a picture a little later this morning {I'm on the west coast]. I really appreciate both responses that I've gotten so far Thanx.....dorr

Comment

Take your old bearings out and bring them with you to a good parts house.

If there's any numbers left on them, they can most likely be crossed. If not, maybe one of the parts guys would be willing to match it up with one on the shelf. (Been there, done that!)

Good luck!

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

OK...OK...I climbed under the olde trailer and scratched away 50 years or so of olde dirt and grease. I found "US PAT 1888818", "US PAT 2018188", a clover shaped stamp with a "1" in its center, and what could either be "18+19" or "18419". I could not say for sure whether the figure between "18" and "19" was a "+" or a "4". Any good guesses? Should I keep scratching?

Comment

whoops...I left out what might be the important info. After the clover shaped thing is a number "44". I suspect that "44" will go a long way in my quest to ID.

Comment

Most Trucks have a 41 or 44 axle, so it could be a Stude. CAR Dana Spicer Model 44 axle, or a Truck 44, the bearings are larger on a 1/2 Ton Truck.

It has Bower or Timkin wheel Bearings that have numbers stamped in them that can either be ordered or as was mentioned, cross referenced to a current number. This is a better method if it is a truck with maybe a car axle, to just match up the bearings. [^]

Updated 10/8

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No such thing as a 45. The Truck will use either a Dana 41 or Dana 44.
                    But like Rich says the Stude truck Dana 44 will have bigger bearings than the car Dana 44.

If you see a Stude axle with a metal tag that has 45A or 45B on it, that refers to the Twin traction ramp engagement angle.

3E38
                    4E2
                    4E28
                    5E13
                    7E7
                    8E7
                    8E12
                    8E28

59 Lark
                    etc

Comment

You will probably have to have a puller to remove the drum for the inner bearing.I am looking at pics(and not the greatest ones) as I dont have mine apart yet and it looks like that is how it goes.Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanx for the input on the "puller" and the info on the truck/car Dana 44 differences. This really gets me off to a pretty good start on what I will have to deal with. Yesterday I hauled a bunch of boxes back from the Port of Oakland and one wheel was quite hot. The other one was OK, just normal warm. Today I went back to the dock and picked up a slightly lighter load. I checked the wheel again. It was hot again, but not as hot. So I am hoping that I still have some barings. Maybe I do, maybe not. I've got a friend who bends tires off rims at a Goodyear store who will help me and we shall see what we shall see. Maybe I can get by with just new seals. You guys have been very helpful in my time of confusion and I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                        X