points- fine tuneing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• points- fine tuneing

just put new points and condencer in my 63 champ pick up i was told they should be set to .019 and i did that with a set of feeler gauges. is there a way or does the points need to be fine tuned and if so best way to do so.

Ryan,get a dwell/tach meter.Find out what the degree range is for your Champ. Set the points within this range and you have fine tuned your points.
    Jim Barker
    '70' Avanti II

Comment

Ryan..."proper" feel with feeler gauges will work just fine...!
      Just remember...a light touch...holding a single leaf (gauge) with your finger tips...NOT a death grip on the handle....again, you'll be fine.
      As long as you aren't heavy handed.

A dwell meter is just "another"...way of doing the same thing. If you have the money for one or a friend with one...no problem, they are good too.

Just remember...if you talk long enough to an "old enough guy"....he'll tell you about setting points with a match book cover...!

Mike

Comment

In the good old days, we had "calibrated hands". 2 smallest fingers on a 6" ratchet handle = 30 ft. lbs. - etc. We were literally digital before computers. LOL Oh yes, don't forget the billy club smacking the sidewall of the inside duals to check tire pressure.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
        Jim
        Often in error, never in doubt
        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dwell and the width of the point setting are opposites, the wider the point gap the smaller the dwell, and the smaller the point gap the larger the dwell. I like the GM window distributor for settig the dwell/point gap.

Comment

Working...
          X