PDA

View Full Version : Reedsville PA. 2008 swap meet next week

dlagrua
10-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Just wanted to post a reminder that the Reedsville all Studebaker swap meet will be held on Nov 7th through Nov 9 at the Mifflin County youth park in Reedsville PA which is 3 miles North of Lewistown PA.
I have been going to this swap meet since the early 80's and have always enjoyed the scenic drive, the beauty of the central PA area and the great people that show up at this meet. (most of it is indoors BTW)
Max Corkins usually hosts an open house Friday evenings at his restoration shop in Lewistown (sometimes with his band playing) Good accomodations are generally easy to find, there is great food available (even Amish style nearby) and if you want more active nightlife State College is only about 30 minute drive. THis is a fun meet and I hope to meet many of you Studebaker fans there.

Nitram
10-24-2008, 04:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by dlagrua

Max Corkins usually hosts an open house Friday evenings at his restoration shop in Lewistown (sometimes with his band playing)

Are there directions to his shop?
Is this open to the general public or is it by invitation only?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
[i]~Nitram~
57 Transtar

bams50
10-24-2008, 05:26 PM
It's by invitation... and by hearing about it, you're invited!!:D

Seriously, Max is a great guy! I really love his shop- a cluttery, old-school building with tons of Stude stuff and plenty of projects in various stages to check out. It's a must- just a little tricky to find I'm sure somebody will post the actual address before long.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

[b]"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

2R5
10-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Its not very hard to find , at least from the Quality Hotel but what is kind of hard is finding your way back ! Those one way streets there going at all sorts of angles can sure screw you up at night . I think it took me about 5 years before I got the hang of it .
I remember the 1st time I left there we were lost for hours...never did figure out were we ended up :(

[IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/smallchamp-1.jpgHome of the Fried Green Tomato
"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
1964 Daytona HT

Rerun
10-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Max usually has maps showing the route to his shop available in the room with the snack bar. The strange layout and one-way streets of Lewistown do make it a challenge.

A little help:

To get to Max's from Reedsville or the motels in Burnham or Milroy, take Rt. 322E to Lewistown, and take the Walnut Street Exit. At the traffic light, turn right on Walnut St., then left onto Valley St. at the next light. Follow Valley St. to the blinking yellow light and turn right onto E. 3rd. St. You're there! Max's shop is on the right.

Leaving Max's is a little more difficult. Continue on E. 3rd St. to the second stoplight, and turn left on N. Brown St. Turn left at the next light onto E. Market St. At the next intersection, don't take the sharp left, but take the "easy" left at your 10:00 o'clock onto Valley St. Keep right and pass the yellow blinker. Turn right onto Walnut St. Cross under Rt. 322, and follow the signs for Rt. 322W, towards State College which will take you back to Burnham, Reedsville and Milroy.

I hope that this helps.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/bradley71771/Rerun.jpg

bams50
10-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks, Jim. Do you have an actual street address with number? If I have that I can put it into my GPS and that will take me to and from there with no problem.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

DEEPNHOCK
10-24-2008, 09:18 PM
I made my motel reservations and have adjusted my travel plans to do my best to attend....(anonymously in PA of course:()
Now.. To find some long John's in the deeep south..
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dlagrua

Just wanted to post a reminder that the Reedsville all Studebaker swap meet will be held on Nov 7th through Nov 9 at the Mifflin County youth park in Reedsville PA which is 3 miles North of Lewistown PA.
<snip>

Pat Skelly
10-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Now.. To find some long John's in the deeep south..
Jeff

Being the CASO that I am, I still have the long Johns that the Army gave me in 1978. You can have them, if that will help.

Pat Skelly
62 GT Hawk
53 Studillac
37 Dictator Coupe

Rerun
10-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Bob,

I don't know the street number address. Can your GPS work to an intersection? It would be Valley St. and E. 3rd St. 17044.

I may be driving by Max's place later today. If there is a number on the building, I'll let you know.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"

bams50
10-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Thanks, Jim. The GPS keys on an actual address. But even a number within a place or two would work... I'll recognize the place when I get near it[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

64V-K7
10-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Last year, my Garmin didn't know anything about a lot of that new highway configuration near Lewistown. I got a cook's tour of a nearby neighborhood...

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg
http://www.studebaker-info.org
55 President State Sedan
64 GT Hawk
70 Avanti (R3)

Rerun
10-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Bob and Bob,

Try 225 E. 3rd St., 17044 in the GPS. It works in Mapquest. It should show the block of 3rd St. between Valley and N. Dorcas St. I can't see an actual number on Max's place, but 224 is directly across the street. The new highway configurations are over a year old now and should be updated in all of the databases now.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"

bams50
10-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Great- thanks, Jim.

Parish, central NY 13131

dlagrua
10-27-2008, 11:03 AM
http://www.studebaker-info.org/images/reeds08.jpg
This is the flyer that was sent to me by a good member. Bob Johnstone. Thanks Bob for sharing.

Nitram
10-27-2008, 04:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rerun
I don't know the street number address.
If the search is correct, I come up with:
Max Corkins
233 E. 3rd St.
Lewistown, PA 17044

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
[i]~Nitram~
57 Transtar

dlagrua
10-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Here's a bump for this terrific event. We are now less than 1 week away and I look forward to attending with great enthusiasm. We will arrive Thursday in the early PM, probably have dinner locally and be at the meet at 9AM. We are lodging at the new Best Western in Milroy which is two miles North of Reedsville off 322. We look forward to seeing all of you great Stude folks there.
I'm not new to Reedsville and have been going there since the mid 1980's but if any of you local folks read this and care to chime in with a list of all of the best recommended restaurants in the area, that would be appreciated.

bams50
10-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I've got my mind set on Peachey's; I'm thinking Friday night. Anybody else in??

A.J. Peachey & Sons, Inc.
72 Barrville Rd.
Reedsville, PA
(717) 667-2185
Toll Free: (800) 982-9755

Parish, central NY 13131

rockne10
10-31-2008, 09:21 PM
quote: I've got my mind set on Peachey's
They are one of my customers. Your patronage contributes to the maintenance and restoration of my heaps. Not to mention, it's a good place to meet and eat.:D Please complement the wait staff on their attire, and wipe your feet on the entrance mats.

Unfortunately, I will only be there Saturday. If the weather permits, my '51 will be in the lot. I'll buy any Forum members who meet me at my car at noon a South Bend Cafe burger.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

bams50
11-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Brad, I'll be there Saturday till probably 3 or so. I'll be wearing my Forum button, and I'll keep an eye out for a '51. I'd like to meet you, burger or not:)

Parish, central NY 13131

Rerun
11-01-2008, 08:01 AM
quote:I'm not new to Reedsville and have been going there since the mid 1980's but if any of you local folks read this and care to chime in with a list of all of the best recommended restaurants in the area, that would be appreciated.
Let me start by saying that the local area is NOT known for fine dining. But, then again, many CASOs are not, either.:) However, there are a few places that you may wish to consider:

As noted previously, Peachey's is worth a visit. Their buffet is local "home style" cooking, reasonably priced. Friday night buffet includes seafood. The adjacent grocery store is worth a visit while you are there. Note that Peachey's has a good breakfast and lunch buffet, too. Closed Sunday.

J.P. Edwards Restaurant, located on Logan Blvd. in Burnham, is a popular "sports bar" restaurant. Next door is a Pizza Hut and an OIP (Original Italian Pizza) restaurant. However, for pizza, wings, etc. I prefer the downtown OIP and Grill on E. Market St., which is just a few blocks from Max Corkins' place.

The Bel-Vue is a bar/restaurant located between Reedsville and Milroy on old Rt. 322. Nearby is the Honey Creek Inn which is good, but is only open for breakfast and lunch. I heard that the Camelot Buffet has closed, which is a good thing.

The area does not have your typical "chain" restaurants e.g. Chili's Fridays', etc. But, for those who like Hoss's, there is one on Business 22 west of "downtown" Lewistown at Hoss Dr.

West of town on Rt. 522/22, the old Jack's Mountain Brew Pub has reopened as Cowboy Jack's. I can't speak personally, but I've heard mixed reviews.

I hope that this helps.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"

bams50
11-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Where we had dinner last year wasn't bad, but I don't recall the name- Cowboy Bill's or something like that?

Parish, central NY 13131

barnlark
11-01-2008, 08:50 AM
"Leaving Max's is a little more difficult. Continue on E. 3rd St. to the second stoplight"

Can I assume that E.3rd St. is a one way and you can only "continue" that way? I had to laugh, ironically when I hear that you can get lost leaving Max's on those one ways for hours, the term "all roads lead back to Reedsville" isn't exactly true! :D[:o)] Seriously, thanks for the great local info for everyone, RERUN. Food ratings are not on my Garmin. GPS's are great but not much help for last minute road closed situations, new roads, or rerouting. You can do circles for quite some time while a knowledgeable local would just know and go the right way. Mapquest is not always correct either and some intersections simply don't have signs to know what road your taking..you have to be local to just know!;)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN1253_2.jpg

Rerun
11-01-2008, 01:23 PM
quote:"Leaving Max's is a little more difficult. Continue on E. 3rd St. to the second stoplight"

Can I assume that E.3rd St. is a one way and you can only "continue" that way?
Your assumption is correct, Barnlark.:D Looking at a map, you would also be tempted to make the left at the first stoplight. Not so fast! If you do that, you will find that an obvious left turn onto Valley St. is prohibited by a sign at the next intersection.

Local lore has it that the Lewistown fathers got together and decided that it would be amusing to make a number of streets "one-way" to baffle strangers. My favorite is Valley street, which is two-way north of the blinking lights at E. 3rd St.(near Max's), but one-way south of the intersection. I guess that it was to control the bustling traffic in the metropolis of Lewistown.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"

barnlark
11-01-2008, 03:42 PM
That's why before GPS we only had GPO...(got pi**ed off) :D

56H-Y6
11-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi

A good cheap motel is the Relax Inn on Rt. 322, just before you get to town on the east side. I stayed there Saturday evening after Hershey. It is a late '50's-early '60's motel, run by courteous Indian folks, very clean and well kept.

Steve

studegary
11-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Does Max's first wife still run the restaurant on the square? Is the small motel that they ran still in business? I still remember the first time that I walked into the office at that motel and was greeted by a picture of my 1953 Commander Starliner on the opposite wall.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

barnlark
11-02-2008, 01:41 AM
BTW, if anyone sees a '61 hardtop for sale this time, let me know and get some info and pics, please. The searchers still haven't found one and just emailed me. I tipped them off on one good lead, but they didn't get an answer. Any tips here will be great for help in the search. [^]

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN1253_2.jpg

Bill Pressler
11-02-2008, 04:07 AM
I am sorry I won't be able to make Reedsville this year (sigh). I met BAMS there last year, and spoke more with JDP than I ever had before--as I was studying that gorgeous Laguna Blue '64 Daytona Wagonaire that was there, that looked as if it had just slipped off the showroom floor!

A friend of mine used to say that he enjoyed Reedsville more than York, which I felt I couldn't agree with. However, after going to Reedsville the past couple years and finally making it to Max's (great fun!), I agree. The drive to Reedsville is certainly scenic once you're off of I-80, and I like driving through that little town of Centre Hall and seeing their old Chevy dealer showroom (now a FLAPS but I remember when they were still selling Chevys into the late '90's).

Peachy's is a great place to eat, and I have tended to find more stuff, at better prices, at Reedsville than I have at York lately.

Enjoy, all!

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

Steve T
11-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi all--

For a constellation of reasons it looks like I won't be going to Reedsville this weekend after all. Bams50, I'll still want to set up something to get that red Vanity to you though.

I've been driving the Lark as much as practicable the past few days; she'll probably be heading for the barn this week or next.:( Got a bunch more nice pix of Betty, will get them onto P'bucket and some here for perusal once my computer at home is functioning again. Can't get online currently except here at work!

S. (somewhat bummed-out)

studebaker-R2-4-me
11-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Steve,

I'm going down to Reedsville and would be more than happy to help you out. Lets meet up at McMaster University, say Mills Library on Wednesday Morning.

I'll pass on the vanity to Bams50

Allen

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/studebaker-r2-4-me/Side.jpg

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter

bams50
11-03-2008, 06:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Hi all--

For a constellation of reasons it looks like I won't be going to Reedsville this weekend after all. Bams50, I'll still want to set up something to get that red Vanity to you though.

Sorry to hear you can't make it, Steve:( Don't worry about the vanity, I won't need it for a while yet. But if Allen can bring it, that's great too. Thanks!

Parish, central NY 13131

DEEPNHOCK
11-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Here's a pic of the swap meet location...
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/ReedsvilleSwapMeet-1.jpg

And a quick map TO Max Corkin's place (from up by the Super 8 / Clarion)
Depart Super 8 Motel-Lewistown
[12886 Ferguson Valley Rd, Burnham PA 17009
Turn LEFT (North) onto Ramp 164 yds US-322
Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto US-322 1.4 mi
Road name changes to US-22 [US-322] 0.4 mi
Keep RIGHT onto Ramp 131 yds US-522 / Walnut St
Road name changes to US-522 [Logan St] 0.2 mi
Turn RIGHT (West) onto S Walnut St 153 yds
Turn LEFT (South) onto Valley St 0.3 mi
Road name changes to E 3rd St 120 yds
Arrive 233 E 3rd St, Lewistown, PA 17044
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/MaxCorkinsPlace-GoingTo.jpg

And heading back from Max's to the motel...
Depart 233 E 3rd St, Lewistown, PA 17044 on E 3rd St (West)
Turn RIGHT (North-West) onto N Dorcas St 0.1 mi
Road name changes to E 4th St 0.2 mi
Turn LEFT (North) onto Valley St 0.7 mi
Road name changes to Electric Ave 0.1 mi
Take Ramp (LEFT) onto US-322 1.4 mi US-322
Keep RIGHT onto Ramp 0.1 mi Burnham / Yeagertown
Turn RIGHT (South) onto Ferguson Valley Rd 0.1 mi
Turn RIGHT to stay on Ferguson Valley Rd 0.3 mi
Arrive Super 8 Motel-Lewistown
[12886 Ferguson Valley Rd, Burnham PA 17009
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/MaxCorkinsPlace-HeadingOut.jpg

bams50
11-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Great map work, Jeff. I would have no idea how to makw, caption, and post maps like that. See you there!

Parish, central NY 13131

dlagrua
11-03-2008, 09:46 PM
It looks like we will be there on Thursday evening but can't say that we will be back on Friday. If anyone is going on Thursday around say 6 PM just look for a middle age guy with a younger wifey (we are both 6' tall) say hello and just sit down chat and eat with us.

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I've got my mind set on Peachey's; I'm thinking Friday night. Anybody else in??

A.J. Peachey & Sons, Inc.
72 Barrville Rd.
Reedsville, PA
(717) 667-2185
Toll Free: (800) 982-9755

Parish, central NY 13131

Rerun
11-04-2008, 04:20 AM
quote:If anyone is going on Thursday around say 6 PM just look for a middle age guy with a younger wifey (we are both 6' tall) say hello and just sit down chat and eat with us.

Note that Peachey's closes at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday. On Friday, they're open late (8:00 p.m.). Leave enough time for dessert!

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"

bams50
11-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Good tip, Jim. Thanks!

Parish, central NY 13131

Rerun
11-04-2008, 05:14 PM
quote:And heading back from Max's to the motel...
<center><center> NO!</center></center>
Jeff,

Your map and directions are incorrect. Despite what the computer may say, you cannot leave Max's place this way. 4th St. is not contiguous behind his shop. There is an alley there, but it is a "one-way" in the wrong direction. Trust the local yokel on this one!

Earlier in this thread, I had posted directions to and from Max's place. I'll up the ante and share the quickest (legal) way to get from Max's back to Valley St. northbound:

Leaving Max's, westbound on E 3rd St., make a left at the first light onto Dorcas St. Go 1/2 block, and turn left into the alley next to the building with the "Century 21" sign. At the STOP sign, turn left and you will be northbound on Valley St. Turn right at Walnut St. Go under Rt. 322 and make an immediate left onto the ramp for Rt. 322 WEST. Follow Rt. 322W to the Burnham exit for the Super 8 or Quality Inn. Continue on Rt. 322 W to Milroy if you are staying at the Best Western.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"

loc8tor
11-04-2008, 08:48 PM
A few years ago I went to Reedsville and came home with window regs, a McCulloch, a fuel pump rebuild kit, and some Home Made Cheese.....the cheese was used up first, still have yet to install any of the other stuff, LOL......
I was hoping to save some shipping and pick up some much needed floor pans, but CE said they would not be in attendance(didnt know if they had been there before). So Saturday morning we will load up head up from the PA/MD line, and see what kind of bargains I can scoop up! And who knows maybe score some more smoked cheddar cheese! LOL

hmmm, my Wife has 2 GT Hawks, and a 58 Silver Hawk(but whats hers is mine NOW, LOL)...But I still want my Daytona!

DEEPNHOCK
11-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the update Jim...
I did drive around the block uphill last time I was there...
But it was dark, and late, and cold, and ....
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

quote:And heading back from Max's to the motel...
<center><center> NO!</center></center>
Jeff,

Your map and directions are incorrect. Despite what the computer may say, you cannot leave Max's place this way. 4th St. is not contiguous behind his shop. There is an alley there, but it is a "one-way" in the wrong direction. Trust the local yokel on this one!

Earlier in this thread, I had posted directions to and from Max's place. I'll up the ante and share the quickest (legal) way to get from Max's back to Valley St. northbound:

Leaving Max's, westbound on E 3rd St., make a left at the first light onto Dorcas St. Go 1/2 block, and turn left into the alley next to the building with the "Century 21" sign. At the STOP sign, turn left and you will be northbound on Valley St. Turn right at Walnut St. Go under Rt. 322 and make an immediate left onto the ramp for Rt. 322 WEST. Follow Rt. 322W to the Burnham exit for the Super 8 or Quality Inn. Continue on Rt. 322 W to Milroy if you are staying at the Best Western.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"

dlagrua
11-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Weather report for the show. Warmer than usual it seems. Maybe because the show is being held earlier in Nov than in past years.
Thursday evening Low 48 Partly Cloudy
Friday high 67 low 48 Partly Cloudy
Saturday high 55 low 48 Mostly Coudy
It should be pleasant
Jim; Also thanks for posting Peachys hours. Didn't realize that they close at 7 PM on Thursday but those Amish do get to bed early

2R5
11-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes the drive down tomorrow should be great ...they are calling for 72 degrees tomorrow ! What a difference from 2 years ago when we had to go over to Rochester then down because of bad lake effect snow in the NY 219 corridor...looking forward to the weekend :D

[IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/smallchamp-1.jpgHome of the Fried Green Tomato
"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
1964 Daytona HT