Speedo gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo gear

My car speedo is 10% off. At 60 mph I am going 54 mph. My pinion gear is a 23 tooth #527689 and it appears replacing it with a 26 tooth #531202 should make it accurate.
    If anyone has a #531202 pinion gear, I am interested.
    Thanks
    Mike D

Another cry for help. Still looking for the above mentioned speedo gear. I thought I found one at studebakerparts.com but they did not have one.
    I hope someone out there can spot one

Comment

If you fail to locate the right gear, try some truck drive line people. They sometimes use a reduction gear for their speedo drive cable. In your case, you have a 10% discrepancy and they just might be able to help out.
      /H

Comment

Try Tom Karkiewicz: he has a box of used gears to choose from
        (number spelled out to protect from spammers)
        Area Code= five-seven-four
        number= two-eight-seven, five-eight-three-four

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
        Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
        Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

I was at Tom's place in South Bend (Bus and Barns) but he assured me he did not have one.

Comment

Did you try Studebaker International? They have lots of NOS parts that don't show up in their catalog. That's where I got my speedometer gear some years ago.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
            Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.
            Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
            Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

I am resurrecting this thread as I have not had any luck finding the 26 tooth speedo gear #521202. I was hoping that since this was posted initially that someone may have run across one and or can scrounge one. The responses in the thread afforded no results

thanks guys for taking another look

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

My car speedo is 10% off. At 60 mph I am going 54 mph.
                At an INDICATED 60 you are ACTUALLY going 54, or at an ACTUAL 60 you are going an INDICATED 54?

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Don't forget your tire factor. Unless you've got original-type tires with the right circumference, no speedo gear will be accurate...

Comment

at an indicated 60 I am going an actual 54. Used an after market GPS to read the mph. I understand the tire thing but with the new gear of 26 teeth versus the 23 teeth (about 10% tooth difference) it should bring close enough for normal driving.
                    It is easy enough to change, I just need to find the gear.

Thanks

Comment

Mike D, would you be willing to part with that speedo pinion gear 527689? It is the correct one for my 51 Champion with a DG-2 automatic and 3.54 axle. I could use
                      a 531202 if I had to, for the 4.10 axle, but it would be only so-so accurate.
                      I was unsuccessful in finding either at S/I or Studes West, and still hunting, for new or good used. When I got my governor replaced, I was going to have the drive
                      gear replaced (which I suspected was bad) but found that the problem was that the pinion gear was completely missing (gone) and I have none at all.

Regards,
                      Clarence in Virginia Beach

Comment

Originally posted by mdelapp View Post
                        My car speedo is 10% off. At 60 mph I am going 54 mph. My pinion gear is a 23 tooth #527689 and it appears replacing it with a 26 tooth #531202 should make it accurate.
                        If anyone has a #531202 pinion gear, I am interested.
                        Thanks
                        Mike D

I'm pretty easy to confuse, but wouldn't a 26-tooth pinion just make the error larger? 26 teeth would take longer to make a complete revolution than the 23 which would slow down the speedometer cable even more??
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                          I'm pretty easy to confuse, but wouldn't a 26-tooth pinion just make the error larger? 26 teeth would take longer to make a complete revolution than the 23 which would slow down the speedometer cable even more??
                          Exactly, so his speedo (which is now reading high) will read lower.

Comment

I spoke to John at Northwest Transmission, and he can make new nylon gears for either part number, if you provide some measurements.

Regards,
                            Clarence in Virginia Beach

Comment

I will look today as I have a lot of them, will let you know tonight.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X