1962 Dash pad removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Dash pad removal

My dash (1962 Lark Regal 4-dr sedan) is good apart from the top (crashpad?) What do I need to do to get this off? I gather the dash has to be removed and the entire thing sent off and just the top can't be removed separately or is this incorrect?

Advice please

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

John the top of the dash should come off, there should be some screws underneth it that hold it down, I think you have to take the peice's of trim off on the side of the windscreen to get it to lift out.
    I have had top off the dash in my 61 Lark and I would imagine it would almost be the same in 62

Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

John, I'm sure there are plenty of '62 experts here and I'm not sure how different the removal is from a '60 dash pad, but as Michael stated there are two screws underneath the windshield trim holding the top of it to the cowl and around 8 or so, long hollow nuts (for lack of what to call them) holding the dashpad to the dash way up underneath on mine. You have to have extensions and patience to get them out, but it goes pretty fast. If you carefully use a small scissor jack, or a bottle jack to hold the center up, that will keep it from sagging in the middle and help with the realignment when you put it back in.

Comment

Thanks Guys, we'll have to investigate further.

John Clements
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements

Comment

If I recall correctly there are 4 9/16 or so nuts up at the cowl and 7 to 9 5/16 screws with flat speed nuts up at the dash end. Depending on how flexible you are, you may need to remove the defroster system, the radio, the glove box insert and the gauge clusters to get at all the nuts and bolts holding the dash cap on.

Jeff T

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
          The Replacements.
          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
          The Replacements.

Comment

I just went out and looked at the pads I took off. There are 4 studs with stamped nuts that you reach from the bottom; two at the corners of the speaker hole and two toward the edges. I don't remember the exact procedure since I was removing the entire dash, but I believe if you pull the glove box, A-pillar trim, maybe defroster hoses, take off the bolts holding the dash to the a-pillars, the dash will loosen enough to get the top off. The pad does come off separetely, and fairly easily.

I should have better info for you being I just pulled two a couple months ago, but I don't- sorry.[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

That's ok, will look over the weekend and see how it is.

Many thanks for the advice.

John Clements
              Lockleys South Australia
              John Clements

Comment

Working...
              X