Speedster Carburetor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster Carburetor

I was looking back at some of the past topics and found the comments made by 1955 Speedster perhaps relevant to my problem.

He stated that he "needed to rebuild the carburetor, adjust timing because of lots of hesitation and backfiring through the carburetor"

I had the carburetor on my Speedster rebuilt. After remounting it, I had the same problem: backfiring through the carburetor and after a while, through the tailpipe. It ran fine at idle but as soon as the throttle was increased, it acted as described. Prior to the rebuild, everything ran fine.

To solve the problem, I replaced points, condenser, plugs, cap, rotor checked timing etc. It finally ran fine, but after test driving it about 5 miles, it lost all power and backfired through the tailpipe when trying to accelerate. Been that way since.

I double checked the timing again, but the problem persists.

My question to 1955 Speedster and other members is: should I have the carburetor rebuilt again or are there other tests to be done to determine the problem.

Thank you

Henry

Henry,
    My first question is WHO was it that rebuilt your carb??? It's hard to guess - from what you've said here - whether you HAD problems before the rebuild or not. I say this because you first quote someone else's need to rebuild their carb - then you go on to say you had the SAME problem AFTER you reinstalled the "rebuilt" carb on your car. (And BTW, there's no real difference between a "Speedster" WCFB and those on other 55 models)

SO - was your rebuild a result of your car exhibiting backfiring problems, or just because you thought you needed to do it?

Back to asking WHO rebuilt it. In this day and age I'd be very wary of sending a carb off to some generic rebuild service - even if it went by way of some parts place like NAPA.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I had the carburetor rebuilt because I thougt it needed it.

It was rebuilt by someone recommended by a local shop who has worked on the Speedster brakes, rear main seal and other work.

Comment

I think the speedster is a 4 barrel? My 55 commander has the stromberg 2 barrel. Using original fuel pump? I had a problem on my previous 55 when I installed an electric fuel pump w/o the proper regulator. This one is going to be stock.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

OK, so what brought you to the conclusion that it needed to be rebuilt? : It "looked" bad : It ran bad : you thought it ought to be rebuilt "just because"?

Yeah, some cars had the WW two-barrel and some had the WCFB 4-barrel. the WCFB could be had on other models as well as the Speedster.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It has been my experience that the carb is not normally the source of a backfire problem. Timing and valves have usually been the problem.....[8)]

1955 President one owner
            Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

Henry, when you replaced the points did you apply any distributor cam lube?

Dwain G.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I would also check your plug wires to make sure they were going to the cylinders in the correct order.Backfiring via the carb is a sign the timing is out due to incorrest sequence of the plug wires

Comment

Working...
                X