Tappet adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappet adjustment

I'm adjusting the tappets on my '58 Hawk and one doesn't stay in place. We get it there, the ticking goes away, but after a run around the block it's back. We can't figure out how to lock it in place. Any help?

Kelly

If you've got another known good rocker arm, just replace it. You might try Loctite. I have gotten by with it in an emergency on other engines:

1. Get the cylinder in place to set the valve with the loose adjuster
    2. Turn the adjuster all the way up til the nut bottoms on the rocker
    3. Spray the exposed threads with Loctite cleaner
    4. Apply Loctite
    5. Turn it back down, adjust the valve clearance and leave overnight

Sometimes it stays stuck.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Funny - I was just considering that!
      Good to hear it's worked for you. I think we'll try that now...cross your fingers.

Thanks.
      Kelly & Pete

Kelly

Comment

I just did what you are talking about 10 hours ago. If you can locate another rocker assembly and just take a good rocker off that, If you know a machinist you can get something called "vibra-tight" you coat the setting screw with it and allow it to dry(takes 10-15 min.) then adjust your rocker. I don't really like using that kind of method because if you keep adjusting it the chemical will just fail and you will need to do it again. I had an extra rocker assembly so I just used three of them. I did not know it when I was rebuilding my motor and the heads, you need to check the drag on those adjusting bolt, if you can move them easy they will come out of adjustment.[]they need to be almost difficult to turn to be good.

Studebakers forever!
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

quote:almost difficult to turn
          = 30 inch/pounds, per the Shop Manual. A crow's foot wrench and a 3/8"-to-1/4" adapter and a 1/4" torque wrench would get you close, but in fifty years of Stude V8s, I've never seen the torque checked.

If an adjuster is loose, it is usually because someone not familiar with Studes moved it too many times or once too far.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X