Still looking for a restored 1961 Lark hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still looking for a restored 1961 Lark hardtop

I met a couple at Lancaster who are interested in a hardtop of the '61 Lark vintage. They aren't into a project, they would like instant driving pleasure in a car that has been safely and professionally finished. Maybe a 2 door sedan as a second choice. No color preference that I remember, but I can ask. Just trying to help, not trying to make money here. Anyone have a car for these two nice, retired, future SDCers and former 1961 Lark first daters [?]

Sorry, I didn't answer this in your e-mail[:I] I'll keep an eyeball peeled[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I'm waiting to hear back about a 61 hardtop. Not restored, but driveable.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ok, Bob. They want it nice. I will try to convince them solid is good and go from there and fix it up to their needs. Any pictures will obviously help. Thanks

Comment

I'll call again this week.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, SB. They are excited to find a car but will wait for the right one. Their heart is set on a '61 J body.

Comment

I'm surprised I haven't heard about more decent tips on this. I don't think I've ever seen a 61 hardtop in person, but there has to be one out there for sale.

Comment

I've only ever seen one for sale, Anne Goodman here on the forum had it. I've seen lots of 61 4drs and currently now own one again, but 61 J bodies seem to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Comment

I know of one in a Florida boneyard, but it's beyond restoring. It's the only one I've seen in person.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

That bad? Any pictures?

Comment

Here's the only one I could find.

It's been sitting in these woods for as long as I can remember. Mother nature has really taken its toll on it. And more than likely, if it was in nice shape before it was dragged in here, it would've been restored.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Sad, but I've seen worse. Can't tell from that how bad, but you're right; in there for a reason.

Comment

There was one at an auction near Carlisle, PA in 2003. There were over 100 Studebakers, but most of them brought $15.00 to $20.00 to a junk man who was going to crush them. I don't know if this one was bought by a restorer.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Leonard, I think that's what I meant by "I've seen worse." Pretty rough. Someone has to have a 2 door sedan at the very least that's presentable, I'm hoping.

Comment

Interesting...one would think that it would be the HTs and droptops that would have survived in proportionally the greatest numbers, being generally seen as more desirable than sedans. I've never thought about it, really, but thinking about it now, I believe I've never seen a 61 Lark HT or convertible. There is a '61 Lark VIII in the local group which I have heard may be for sale soon, but it is a 4-door. (I've posted pix of it on here before.) '62s seem plentiful enough (one of the local ones being mine), but even at the Zone Meet I don't think I saw even one '61 Lark. Hmm!

S.

Comment

Working...
                              X