GNRS Entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNRS Entry

I just received the Ute's official invitation to the Grand National Roadster Show. Included are some of the things to do that separate the winners from the losers.

Are the tires indexed correctly on the wheel and aligned so that the valve stems are placed at bottom as the vehicles rests on the ground?

Are the tire nibs removed and the tread dressed so you see no factory blemishes?

Is the wiring loomed with wire ties spaced one inch apart?

Are all the fasteners lined up (clocked) and are they of the same type?

Can the judging team touch any part of the vehicle with white gloves and not find any dirt or grease or sooty exhaust?

...and on and on.

I don't think going this far is my cup of tea, but it will be a blast being there with the Studebaker even though there might be some soot in the exhaust pipes [:0].

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

"Is the wiring loomed with wire ties spaced one inch apart?"

That's supposed to look good? Somehow, I'm not seeing plastic zip ties as show-quality material. I'd rather see a nice job done with various colors of shrink tubing, or else flexible metal conduit.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

or else flexible metal conduit.

Chrome , of course.

Jerry Forrester
      Douglasville, Georgia
      Be sure to check out my eBay store
      http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_ and my EZ33 store http://tinyurl.com/2g2j88
      for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

What is wrong with a factory type black taped harness, that looks neater than any metal conduit, plastic conduit, shrink tubing, zip ties, gaudy looking colored plastic etc, etc, etc !

Ties one inch apart? Are these people insane?

I guess you will have a perfect factory looking slightly modified car, that gets 0 points with their stupid rules, because it is entered with a bunch of overdone, overchromed uglyness called Custom Cars (Rods?)! [V]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

overdone, overchromed uglyness called Custom Cars (Rods?)! [V]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          Don't hold back Rich, tell us how you really feel about modifieds.[}]

Jerry Forrester
          Douglasville, Georgia
          Be sure to check out my eBay store
          http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_ and my EZ33 store http://tinyurl.com/2g2j88
          for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

"Is the wiring loomed with wire ties spaced one inch apart?"

That's supposed to look good?
            I agree.

I think that one will be sort of a non-issue. Most of the wiring will be hidden from sight. Those few that do show, I'll do what I think looks good...not what gets points.

I like the shrink tube idea, but I might just cut short (3/8") hunks and space them out along the loom of wires.

All wires are black and labeled with printing on them every few inches.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Crap.. I lost at number one[V]
              My valve stems are all at 12 O'clock....
              (so I don't have to bend down so far)
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I just received the Ute's official invitation to the Grand National Roadster Show. Included are some of the things to do that separate the winners from the losers.

[i][b]Are the tires indexed correctly on the wheel and aligned so that the valve stems are placed at bottom as the vehicles rests on the ground?
              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The line about having all fasteners clocked (like valve cover bolts) is just like Pebble Beach concours style judging.

Chris Pile
                Midway Chapter SDC
                The Studebaker Special
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

What baloney! I used to build aircraft wiring harnesses and we didn't tie or Ty-wrap them every INCH!

Sorta reminds me of plastic / ceramic / glass fruit. Looks nice as a centerpiece, but is really useless in any practical sense.

Dick, you'll remember that we met Butch Reed that day - at a local eatery. You'll also remember that he owns the "Outlaw" roadster we 3 discussed. It's a stunning exercize in paint and chrome, and that's why it took top honors in it's day. But it's TOTALLY impractical as anything other than an artwork. At least, your "Ute" will be functional and practical. I know we of the Stude community all hope it does well and thereby honors the marque.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Boy, am I glad I don't show cars! Just too lazy, even if I had the money (LOL)!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Dick, I actually have a length or two of shrink tube that is a pastel green color not too different from the Sea Foam green that you plan to paint the Ute. Want it?

As far as "clocking" fasteners goes, I could see it, maybe, on non-critical fasteners. How do you "clock" head bolts without having them under/over torqued? Might make more sense to make little round chrome bullet caps for such fasteners.

Even wheel studs should NOT be clocked if safety is paramount.

Comment

I see a niche~ market for tie wrap 'printed' shrink wrap tubing
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:]"Is the wiring loomed with wire ties spaced one inch apart?"
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

How many laps around the venue do you suppose it takes to get all the valve stems lined up?

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
                          Jim
                          Often in error, never in doubt
                          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

The GNRS should be taken for what it is--the ultimate showplace for the worlds best builders. I bet the Ute is the least expensive and most practical car there and it wouldn't surprise me if it won something too. As far as showing your Stude in regular shows, Ron, I take my M to every show I can. Homegrown paint job with 15,000 miles worth of rock chips,and all. Do I ever win? No. Do I have a great time talking cars and swapping lies with a bunch of other gearheads--you bet! Great therapy! Everybody should try it.

Jeff

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

What baloney! I used to build aircraft wiring harnesses and we didn't tie or Ty-wrap them every INCH!

Sorta reminds me of plastic / ceramic / glass fruit. Looks nice as a centerpiece, but is really useless in any practical sense.

Dick, you'll remember that we met Butch Reed that day - at a local eatery. You'll also remember that he owns the "Outlaw" roadster we 3 discussed. It's a stunning exercize in paint and chrome, and that's why it took top honors in it's day. But it's TOTALLY impractical as anything other than an artwork. At least, your "Ute" will be functional and practical. I know we of the Stude community all hope it does well and thereby honors the marque.[^]
                              I do remember meeting Butch. Neat hot rod guy. I'd like to see his stuff during one of my future visits to the StudeFarm.

I don't think I could build a GNRS award winner. I don't have the talent, patience and money. I also believe that cars are not coffee table books. They NEED to be driven and enjoyed. That doesn't mean, however, that they HAVE to be purely utilitarian. S2D was also in the GNRS, won a top 20 award out of 3,000+ cars on Americruse in Lincoln, NE, was selected as one of Rod and Custom's top 100 hot rods, won 2 GoodGuys Picks, etc...yet I drove the wheels off of that car (and have a pile of quarter mile time slips to boot).

The Ute will be much the same. There will be NOTHING about the car cosmetically that will embarrass me...but it will get miles. I remember that a lot of the awards at the GNRS that S2D was in were given to cars that I walked right passed and didn't even notice (although I was at the show many hours). They had the best wire ties and the nicest dressed tire treads, but obviously didn't interest me too much. My hope for the Ute is NOT that it wins some sort of award, but that it always has a crowd around it. That would be a far bigger pay off for me.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X