PDA

View Full Version : engine colors

new cruiser
11-13-2006, 04:42 PM
I recently purchased a 54 Land Cruiser. I want to detali the engine. Am I correct in assuming that the valve covers,lifter cover, oil pan, and generator should be gloss black? What about the intake manifold?

N8N
11-13-2006, 06:18 PM
intake should be engine color, bell telephone green. I'm not sure about the oil pan but the other parts you mention should be black. I am not sure about the degree of gloss because it all becomes semi-gloss over the years.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

StudeRich
11-14-2006, 04:50 AM
Your 1954 232 Engine should have Olive Drab Studebaker and Packard Green as Nate said. The Oil Pan, Lifter Cover, and Intake are all the same as Block and Heads. The Valve Covers, Air Cleaner, Gen., starter, and Dist. are simi-gloss black. The Exhaust Manifolds were bare (rust) but would look the best in Eastwood Cast Iron Gray Hi-Temp manifold paint. I always put a little of that on the heat port of the intake as well, under the correct color to slow the "burn-off" down a bit. As it will burn off of the center exhaust port of the heads and the intake man. center port because of extreame heat. Check, replace or remove the heat riser to minimize this condition.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

CHAMP
11-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the forum New Cruiser! You might want to check on this websight about the Studrbaker Drivers Club! They have a special price for first time members and it includes a one year subsciption to Turning Wheels magazine which is all about Studebakers.! Another thing you might find handy is a Studebaker Shop Manual, Avalible from most Studebaker Vendors. Hope this helps you and have a great Studebaker Day!:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

new cruiser
11-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the help...:)
quote:Originally posted by N8N

intake should be engine color, bell telephone green. I'm not sure about the oil pan but the other parts you mention should be black. I am not sure about the degree of gloss because it all becomes semi-gloss over the years.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

new cruiser
11-14-2006, 07:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Your 1954 232 Engine should have Olive Drab Studebaker and Packard Green as Nate said. The Oil Pan, Lifter Cover, and Intake are all the same as Block and Heads. The Valve Covers, Air Cleaner, Gen., starter, and Dist. are simi-gloss black. The Exhaust Manifolds were bare (rust) but would look the best in Eastwood Cast Iron Gray Hi-Temp manifold paint. I always put a little of that on the heat port of the intake as well, under the correct color to slow the "burn-off" down a bit. As it will burn off of the center exhaust port of the heads and the intake man. center port because of extreame heat. Check, replace or remove the heat riser to minimize this condition.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

new cruiser
11-14-2006, 07:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by CHAMP

Welcome to the forum New Cruiser! You might want to check on this websight about the Studrbaker Drivers Club! They have a special price for first time members and it includes a one year subsciption to Turning Wheels magazine which is all about Studebakers.! Another thing you might find handy is a Studebaker Shop Manual, Avalible from most Studebaker Vendors. Hope this helps you and have a great Studebaker Day!:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.