No announcement yet.

Lancaster from the sky (several pics!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancaster from the sky (several pics!)

I am sure I am not alone in having a good time in Lancaster. As we have a local 3 day agricultural show that started today, I had to leave yesterday afternoon. I pulled in at 12:15 this morning and was up at 5:50 to get to the show, thus that is the reason I have not been able to add any more pictures.

Yesterday, through what may be pure luck, I was approached by TW editor Art Unger and asked if I wanted to take a trip. I responded that I would be interested, but added the usual caveat that it would depend on the specifics of when and where, etc.

Art responded that the trip was to occur at 1:30 PM (it was 12:15 at the time) and would entail taking a helicopter ride in order to shoot some pictures of the meet from the air. I jumped at the chance, though I only have a mid grade digital camera.

After getting another memory card at Target and a quick bite of food, I was picked up by Tom Ehrhart of the meet staff in a Gator and taken to an overgrown field beyond the area where the trucks were parked. Shortly the copter appeared over the treetops and prepared to land.

Once on the ground, Tom (who is a copter pilot) covered the "flight plan" with my pilot, John.

After getting on board and being strapped into the 4 point harness (with the buckle taped closed as my door was removed to allow me to better shoot pictures), John gave me the pre flight instructions. Soon he was pulling up on the stick and we were airborne.

Once airborne, we had to contend with some fairly strong winds as we circled the show in a counter clockwise pattern. As we approached Rt. 30 the winds would push us to the north. All in all, we made 5 trips around the hotel at various altitudes.

Here is a picture of the outdoor swap meet:

Given that the purpose of the flight was to obtain pictures for use in the meet issue of Turning Wheels, I can't take away from the content of that issue by posting all the pictures. However, here is a teaser picture that Art has allowed me to post that captures a significant portion of the cars.

All in all, it was a great flight with a seasoned pilot (41 years of experience) that allowed me to see the show as no on else did. Hopefully each of you will be able to get the same perspective in the meet issue.

Upon landing, it was rather odd to exit the copter with dozens of onlookers, many of them taking my picture. Again, thanks to Art, Tom, Denny Faust and Don Jones for making this possible and congratulations on a great show.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Schweizer. Nice bird.

I've always thought helicopters were somewhat magic...and their pilots even more so. They are pretty busy with both hands and feet making it do what they want it to do. No time to relax.

What a great experience, Gary!

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I wonder what the Car count was I counted 400 in that photo. Anybody know?

Mabel 1949 Champion
      1957 Silverhawk
      1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      1955 President State
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman

I think I was told there were 640 cars on the field Thursday. That did not include those across the street, the ones in the various hotel parking lots as well as those shown in the swap meet area.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman

Ann: Gary's last photo is misleading; that is by no means the whole show field and he would be the first to say so.

The other field and area off to the upper left of that last photo contains all the prewar cars and Hawks! So if you counted roughly 400 cars and trucks in that lower photo, try to imagine the upper left corner with no trees and maybe three times as many vehicles as you can see. Those were the Prewar and Hawk classes; not visibile in this photo for all practical purposes.

Perhaps Gary has additional photos to post as time allows. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It was announced at the Judges Meeting Thursday Morning that 254 vehicles were to be judged. There are maybe one & one-half vehicles displayed for each one judged, so the actual count on the show field could have easily been the 640 Gary was told. [8D]BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob is correct. Look at the upper left corner of the photo. You'll see the beginning of another field filled with cars from a 1914 Stude touring and up. I think the estimate of about 640 cars is pretty much on the mark.
              It was a terrific int'l meet and the weather couldn't have been more perfect.
              Looking at the lower part of the photo you can see the truck area, including a WWII deuce-and-a-half. It was a great looking truck.
              In fact, all the trucks looked great.
              Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I will see if I can post a picture of the front of the hotel tomorrow night (they are on my laptop and I need to get to bed). Also, there were truck in front of the treeline that can't be seen from my aerial shot (you can see Nelson Driver's '62 E-40 on the very left of the trees).

Hidden from view was the last truck Asa Hall bought, a '41 M-16 that his wife Sharon had restored following Asa's death.

Comment

So, you're the guy someone was complaining about in another post somewhere- making a bunch of noise while the Stude Band was playing, or something... [?] [:0] I wouldn't want to be in your shoes- that was his only complant during the whole Meet!!!
                  I kid, 'cuz I'm a kidder. [}] [)]

That is one cute little helo, but mine were much bigger~

It's a shame I never got to sit up front and fly one... [] [B)] [V] [xx(]

Anyone wanna clue me in on that two door sedan in that swap meet picture- with the hood up- looks like a turquise/white '56/'57 maybe [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  San Diego, Ca.
                  San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                  '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
                  '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                  '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                  '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                  '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
                  '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

It was Skip that mentioned about the flyover during the band performance. It was unfortunate timing to be sure[:I]

Great pictures! Another good look at the Meet[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Wellll......
                      After seiing that lil' chopper struggle to get up in the air, I can understand why Art asked a skinny guy to take the pic's[][B)][:0]
                      (I thought it was Lancaster TV's Newschopper [u].</u>5 [|)])
                      Jeff

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

At 11AM Thurs, show day, after entrance had closed and before anyone began leaving, the actual physical count was:
                        Lower lot: 59
                        Intermediate lot: 49
                        Main lot: 163
                        Avantis on grass: 78
                        Trucks: 47
                        Avanti on trailer (late arrival parked behind the trucks): 1
                        Studebakers around motel: 21

This includes judged and display cars (intermingled on show field)

Total: 418

toyman

Comment

According to Mark Wheeler, 462 was the registered number on the field.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I didn't count them myself, but that number seems pretty low. The upper lot with the Larks on it shows 254 just on the pavement, in that one lot! Then I count 82 Avantis, which totals 336 cars... and that's not including the trucks, and at least that many in the other 2 lots... plus the parking lots and the grass along the road, and it seems you're way off...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Strange...when I count the cars on the photo, I get:
                              First row: 42
                              Second row: 38
                              Third row: 34
                              Fourth row: 42 (there are some hidden by the trees, I counted 50 actually on Thurs

So...the PHOTO shows 156, not 254 (the photo shows 79 Avantis)
                              toyman

Comment

Working...
                              X