clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch

I drove my Stude yesterday with new clutch and pressure plate along with a new transmission and when it cought to operateing temperature Ihad trouble getting it in gear. I talked to the person who rebuilt it and he said he adjusted the clutch all he could. We had the flywheel surfaced and we don't know how much was taken off so could this be the problem? If it is can you put a spacer behind the flywheel like you do on hydrolic clutches? I thank you for your help.

When the car cooled down did the clutch start working well again?
    When up to temp, what is the pedal free play and where is the disengagement point? (Near the floor?)
    Was the clutch "rebuilder" also the transmission installer?
    Did the "new" transmission also include a "new" bellhousing? Was the alignment of the bellhousing to block checked? Are the dowels in place? Did the old clutch/trans combo stay adjusted when up to temperature?

Comment

I had this problem on a friends 259 lark. We put in a rebuilt pressure plate. I could not get it to work even after letting the adjustment out all the way. I tore it down again and installed a nos studebaker pressure plate. The problem was solved. I measured and compared the two plates and never did completely understand what the issue was other than the plate is used in other cars and the difference in clearances was just enough to keep it from working consistently. They were just minor differences in the clearances between the flywheel and plates.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk
      1964 Convertable
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1962 Lark 4 Door
      1950 Commander Starlight
      1950 Commander Starlight
      1950 Commander Starlight
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I had the same problem. I bought a new pressure plate from napa and a clutch disc from one of the stude vendors. When I put it together, it worked until it warmed up, then would not disengage. I took my old pressure plate and clutch disc to a local rebuilder, and voila - problem solved. I did measure the finger height and the new napa plate quite a bit different.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

The pressure plate and clutch came from astudebaker vender along with all the transmission parts. The rebuilder checked all alignments because I asked the question in this form and it was recamended so I asked him to. When the engine is cool it seams to go into gear a little better.We used the old bell houseing along with the old transmision mount.The shifter bushing were also replaced. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
          X