Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helocopter Taking pics?

Hello,
    The helocopter that landed and the circled the show field, was this a TV photo shoot or the Lancaster newspaper?
    Perhaps WGAL ??
    If so when will this air?
    Thanks

Ernie Stoltzfus

It was neither TV nor newspaper. In fact, the local newspaper had nothing about the convention in today's paper. The helicopter was rented privately and took some up to get pictures. I found out after the fact. I would have paid in order to go up in the helicopter.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, I agree with you. The photos were great.
      By the way, it was great to meet you in Lancaster.
      Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The helicopter was rented by the meet officials for the sole purpose of obtaining aerial pictures of the show for Turning Wheels. I had the good fortune of being asked by Art Unger to do the honors. The pilot had 41 years of experience and mostly does flying instruction. You can see my post titled "Lancaster from the sky" on the General Discussion forum for the details. However, here is one shot that shows about 400 of the vehicles.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Thanks for the pics, Gary.

You are certainly braver than Me.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
          53 Starliner Hardtop
          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Gary,
            Is there a single photo of the complete venue, from the Expo and car corral to the end of the Concours? If Art doesn't print it in TURNING WHEELS may we see it here?
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Gary,
              Is there a single photo of the complete venue, from the Expo and car corral to the end of the Concours? If Art doesn't print it in TURNING WHEELS may we see it here?
              Brad,

I just got back from the last day of our local tractor show and am posting this as I cook some dinner. I think that I can find a picture that would show everything and will need to look on my laptop for one.

Gary

Comment

How does this look?

Comment

For those who are wondering about the helicopter. The Keystone Region Meet Committee made the decision to lease the copter on Thursday in order to get arial views of the meet. Since Ann Turner and Art Unger were unavailable we hired Guidoto take the shots. You will see them again and what he psted here are the rejects[^]. I personally want to Thank Gary for taking the shots at the last minute as this whole thing was a spur of the moment decision and just fell in place with the help of many.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Had it been prior to Labor Day there would have been water in the pool (large white area in center of Host courtyard). Swap Meet was in Expo Center (white roof building at top of picture).

I believe thanks go to Tom Ehrhart for arranging use of helicopter.

Guido, you are a busy man. Thank you so much!

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The thanks for putting this aerial pictorial view of the Concours together was, indeed, Tom Erhart. I sat with Tom on a golf cart for an hour or more while he was trying to get the copter flight scheduled for the meet committee. Guido graciously agreed to be the photographer after Art and Ann declined to fly.

Some of the photos Guido took should appear in the January 2009 issue of Turning Wheels.

Comment

Working...
                      X