Buying a sight-unseen Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a sight-unseen Stude

I know some of you guys'll yawn, having done this lots, but I'm waiting for delivery of my first Studebaker bought without actually laying eyes on it. I saw three Craigslist pics and believe the owner's description. It happens I know the owner, but still...
    It's a 63 Lark 4-door and comes with an extra OHV-6 and OD-T96.
    A spun bearing on one rod shortly after a rebuild job several years ago and it's been literally sitting in a barn since then.
    Will post pics when it comes.

Western Washington, USA

LOL-I just did the same thing! Just bought a car from a frequent poster on this forum.
    It was kinda strange to pull the trigger without actually crawling over,under and around it,but I trust his description.And the pictures he sent helped.
    There has only been one instance where a Studebaker guy has sheet on me,so either I have been lucky,or cautious enough. We are all kind of like a family here. And if someone whizzes in someone else's Wheaties, word gets around quite rapidly ! Honest mistakes can be forgiven,but outright lies and B.S. won't last long with in our family.

Comment

A spare TAXICAB Trans.? That should be a good hard to find score Tom! You must think at lot like Kent does...always going for the poor under-appreciated UNDERDOG 4 Dr. 6's! [:0] But hopefully you won't get burned quite as bad as he does! Lol!

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

It's a 63 Lark 4-door and comes with an extra OHV-6 and OD-T96.
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Oh boy! I know where I'll be this fall & winter. In the garage!

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Decent looking 4 dr.

I've yet to be gyped by a "sight unseen car from one of our own!

Just bought Jim Ferners Cruiser, never seen it in person - but going by reputation was a very good buy.

Time will tell but as said in a previous post if you get "done in" here word will get around.

Good winter project!

Louis Moore
          289 Cruiser

Comment

That's a very complete-looking car! Should make a nice tool-around once you get the engine up and running!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Tom; if you don't have any use for what looks TWO long ago extinct since the mid '60's '59 Lark Regal Grille meshes, you'll have a couple good ebay items! [^]

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Tom, I have 2 '63 Lark four-doors here, both with OHV six, and both run, both within the last 2 weeks, too.

The standard-shift car has a fairly solid body, barring the usual front-fender rust, and its engine seems to run pretty well. It came to me with a seized clutch, and I've replaced that. Brakes work, too.

The auto-shift car has a tired engine that needs to be rebuilt, but it has no knocks or other signs of actual internal damage. This car also has a super-rusty body and frame, and qualifies as a donor car. It should give up its interior and front end components to the stickshift car.

The body on the stick-shift car does not appear to be as nice that on the Lark you just bought, so if you wanted to use it as a donor car for the sake of its engine, it wouldn't be terribly out of line.

Or if you wanted the engine alone out of the auto-shift car, I could make you a deal on that, so you could rebuild it on the engine stand and then swap it into your Lark.

I'm planning to make a trip down to Bellingham to see Dick Steinkamp, so I could bring either an engine or complete car with me.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord; you are going to be in serious trouble if you go to Bellingham, 10 miles from here and don't stop in, you are welcome any time!

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gordon, thanks much for the offers! I bought this from the real Mr. Gasket, Sandy Olson of olsonsgaskets.com and he told me several years ago that bearing became loose because of a cracked used star washer under a rod bolt. Ever heard of that happening?
                    I hope to pull the engine, mic things, plastigauge things and if I have to, remove the crank if the journal is buggered up too badly. I'm cheap labor!
                    I haven't been under the car yet and tend to be compulsive about cleaning, scraping and painting the works. My garage is jammed and I stand there and wonder what the heck I got another project for. That 259 I'm working on 'for something to do' just might go in this 63 eventually.
                    Yeah, Rich, I found two early Lark meshes and an NOS 63 mesh & surround under them! Those I can store easily.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Man I would not be ashamed to be seen driving that 4 door! I LIKE IT!
                      And what about those grill mesh's? Anyone have a good picture and a good guess what a decent one is worth? I got a pair with some parts and I am curious if what I have is the good stuff! Thanks.

Comment

Champ, if you see those vertical bars that are concave, that is a '59, it was replaced (superceeded) by the very common 1960 mesh in the mid 1960's when Plant 8 (South Bend Main Depot) ran out of '59's! [:0]

The 1960 has horizontal bars slanted 30 degrees up and is a totally different design, it's the one that matches the 1960 parking light/air vent grilles. These and the Regal '59-'60 surround Mouldings are still available at SASCO.

If you have a NOS '59 Mesh (screen) it has to be worth $50.00 up.

quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

And what about those grill mesh's? Anyone have a good picture and a good guess what a decent one is worth? I got a pair with some parts and I am curious if what I have is the good stuff! Thanks.
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

It looks like someone made that poor little six pull a trailer.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X