new appreciation for welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new appreciation for welders

Was off work today, and being Lancaster didn't happen, I had to do something Stude related to make up for it.

Started cutting out the rusty remains of the trunk floor of the Daytona. It amazes me, the body panels on the car are straight and solid as can be, but the trunk floor is swiss cheese. [xx(]

A while back I cut a section of the floor from a '63 Cruiser, and have been planning to have someone weld it in the Daytona. My boss at work said he'd do it for nothing, as he enjoys it and hasn't done anything like that in a while. My dad has been doing it for 32 years, and is 4 years from retiring from Boilermaking.

Either way, I like being able to say "I did that", and got anxious to try it myself. So, I went at it. My granddad's wire welder was already out as he had been working on a C body door yesterday. I took a welding class at school about a year ago, and learned the basics. What do ya know, something I learned at school same in handy. [)]

I got about 1/3 of the 'new' floor welded in, as I'm doing it in sections, and I have yet to cut anymore out of the Cruiser. I also got the NOS tail panel welded in place, and it's as stout as can be. And the best part is, with the trunk lid shut, everything fits together pretty nicely. [8D]

As the header states, I have a new appreciation for those who can weld, AND make the welds look good. I'm just glad that my Daytona will have a trunk mat to cover it all up.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Practice-Practice-Practice, And, Oh! by-the-way a good 4 1/2" grinder

Comment

We've got one of those too. Running out of discs for it though. [)]

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

running out of discs?? Sounds like my "gorilla welding" grind off the bad places!

Louis Moore
        289 Cruiser

Comment

They sell those disc at most auto parts stores Matt.lol forgive me.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

They sell those disc at most auto parts stores Matt.lol forgive me.

David Baggett '53 coupe
            Yep, they sure do. They're cheap with an employee discount too.

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Here in Miss.we call what i do "dirt dobber" welds.Just keep on welding Matt you will get better.
              Just make sure you get your weld burned into the medal.I've seen pretty beads that wasnt stuck to anything.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

I use an air gun to cool the metal after every half inch to inch of weld. Just wait til it cools from red hot or it'll blow the molten metal right out.

Comment

I have welded sections in trunks and floors. I trim the parts to fit so that they overlap a little, then use lots of self-tapping screws in an air screwgun to position the new panel in place. Oh, be sure to grind your flange to bare metal--it will weld much easier. Do your seam a few inches here and there at a time, to reduce heat buildup in the panel. When you've welded your seam, hammer the underside of it, and tack weld as necessary so it is flush. Remove the screws and mig up the holes. After grinding the welds, you can finish your seam with duraglass or all-metal/alumalead or similar products----on both sides if you want. Sometimes I would just do the trunk side, and primer and undercoat the underside seam heavily. The repair won't be obvious, and will last indefinitely if the car is stored properly. Good Luck.

Comment

Also a good idea to use some weld through primer on the areas where the metal overlaps.

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.
                    Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Working...
                    X