PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Business Coupe Regal? Deluxe? Custom?

Starlite51
11-12-2006, 11:11 PM
I have a 1951 Business Coupe

how can I find out if it's a Regal? Deluxe? Custom?
it is a Champ six , 3 speed Overdive / radio / heater /

thanks

John Sweeney
Folsom CA
1951 Studebaker Champion Business Coupe
1962 GT Hawk
"Lone Dog ... No Woof"
www.cruisinnews.com
www.renoswapmeet.com

studeclunker
11-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Well, I'm just guessing. Buuuuut, with an OD tranny, radio, and heater that rules out a Deluxe. It might just be a Regal. Does it have a lot of shiny on the exterior. From what little I know, the names Deluxe, Regal, and Custom have a lot to do with trim level. ie; Deluxe, being the lowest trim level, would have none. Or very possibly very little. Regal, being the top level, is dripping in chrome and had things like a heater and radio. The model number is on the firewall, right side.

Please post the VIN and model (firewall) number. The people who really are experts (and DO know what they are talking about, unlike me) can then answer your question for certain. Anything else is guessing.

I'll think I'll shut up now...[:I]

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/studebaby/54wagonblue-2.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/studebaby/red54wagon-1.jpg
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

steve_smith54
11-12-2006, 11:43 PM
The amount of exterior trim may give you some indication, providing body parts have not been exchanged over the years. I understand that the Custom, the lowest trim level, had no hood ornament, only the Studebaker crest. If the car has a hood ornament you can pretty much rule out the Custom.

Roscomacaw
11-13-2006, 12:46 AM
The body tag will tell you exactly. At least, it will tell you what it started life as.;) If it says: 10G-Q1 it's a Deluxe. A 10G-Q2 would be a Regal. A 10G-Q4 would be a custom.
10G is for '51 Champion
Q is for 3-passenger coupe
1, 2 or 4 indicates the trim level

:D

Mine's a Q1 BTW.

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

StudeRich
11-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Ron; just for your imformation and to set the record straight, if you want to learn about Studes, here you go. The amount of Accessories: Radio, Heater, O.D. might mean something about the trim level on todays cars, but on 50's and 60's cars and Stude's in particular, it means nothing![:0] Buyers and dealers ordered top of the line Presidents with no radio & heater! Bottom of the line '57/'58 Scotsmans were ordered with the "dress-up kit" body side mouldings, Golden Hawk style simulated spoke wheel covers, gas door guard, door handle Guards and upgrade from Scotsman recirculating "box heater" to the "Climitizer" fresh air heating & defrosting System, 8 tube push button Radio, Overdrive etc.

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

[font=Comic Sans MS]Well, I'm just guessing. Buuuuut, with an OD tranny, radio, and heater that rules out a Deluxe. Ron Smith

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Starlite51
11-13-2006, 02:10 PM
hey thanks everyone...

here's my vin G900 272

the plate on the firewall shows 10G-Q2
it has hood ornament, fender ornaments, skirts, rubber stone guards, orignal paint
(plus zero rust :D zero dents ;)

So if I read Mr Biggs info correctly it's a Regal

and I see elsewhere on the SDC site there were only 373 Regal coupes made [:0]

I had planned to put a "built" 289 in it but I think I'd better leave the stock Champ 6 in there .... which still purrs ....

quote:Deluxe. A 10G-Q2 would be a Regal. A 10G-Q4 would be a custom.
10G is for '51 Champion
Q is for 3-passenger coupe
1, 2 or 4 indicates the trim level

John Sweeney
Folsom CA
1951 Studebaker Champion Business Coupe
1962 GT Hawk
"Lone Dog ... No Woof"
www.cruisinnews.com
www.renoswapmeet.com

raprice
11-13-2006, 03:25 PM
I just learned something today. I didn't realize that Studebaker ever built the business coupe in Regal trim. All along, I thought that the 3 passenger business coupe came only in Custom trim.
Go figure.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

motive
11-13-2006, 08:22 PM
How about posting a picture of your '51 Business Coupe. It sounds really nice.

Mike with Speedster

Roscomacaw
11-13-2006, 08:55 PM
John, the serial # reveals that your car was built in the Vernon Ca plant (Los Angeles)
You read right on it being a Regal. The 347 means it was the 347th 10G-Q2 body tub welded up. Mine was the 311th 10G-Q2 tub welded up. and mine was assembled in Vernon also.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Starlite51
11-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Mike (Motive)

I am not sure how to post pics .... plus it's kinda a mess right now I took the all the chrome off and the original paint is "California Sunburned" blue --- I was prepping for the Stude 289 & TT rear end which I am rethinking right now -- (wished i had bought that Champ speed equip JP offered here last month)

but if you want to see two real nice coupes check these links :

Toms Noller's car is super nice http://www.tomnoller.com/Cheeks.html

I was planning on dupilicating David Carters (car shown on the next link) -- he's way over the top --- he must of put $30,000 into his coupe --- he made it a super spectacular car and he moved to FL? .... and haven't heard from him in a long time -- but he sure made it easy for the next guy who wanted to make a real cruiser out of a coupe - (& not a Bow Tie Stude street rod) he outlines how to do everything to build a coupe like his .. and he started with a rusty one

load this in to your browser and click on all the links in that site

http://www.geocities.com/dcat917/
it's really funny .... my "rich" wife has a street rodded Ford powered '40 Merc conv and I enjoy my '51 Stude REGAL coupe more ... something about a business coupe that just makes me smile ...I love the lines and my chrome propeller on the bullet nose .. :D
mine was owned many years ago by Karel Staple founder of the SDC chapter here in Nor Cal

John Sweeney
Folsom CA
1951 Studebaker Champion Regal Business Coupe
1962 GT Hawk
"Lone Dog ... No Woof"
www.cruisinnews.com
www.renoswapmeet.com

Starlite51
11-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Mr Biggs

thanks again for all the info ....

are you coming to Turlock Swap Meet Jan 27-28 ? I will be in SP 02 03 next to American Stripping my space is next to the fence on the asphalt --I have a bright orange colored EZ up

I have a few 53 Stude coupe & 56 Transtar surplus items I'd like to give you
email me and I wil give you my cell ph number so we can hook up at Turlock if you are going to be there

John Sweeney
Folsom CA
1951 Studebaker Champion Regal Business Coupe
1962 GT Hawk
"Lone Dog ... No Woof"
www.cruisinnews.com
www.renoswapmeet.com

Roscomacaw
11-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah John,

I'm gonna try to do Turlock this year. I'll e-mail you my phone#;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

ghcoe
02-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows this one. I know that the car is a 1951 Commander Starlight coup, but would like to know more if possible. I know it came with a radio, inside controled radio antenna, Automatic trans, upgraded interior cloth. The cowl tag is HC-5 with the numbers 10694 under it. Different than what is posted here, unless I am looking at the wrong tag. The serial # is in the photo.

http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10059/normal_1951%20Commander%20001%20small.JPG

Thanks, ghcoe

Roscomacaw
02-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Gerry, C5 would be a "Commander State" trim level. Equal to Regal of other years. The serial# confirms that it's a 51 Commander built in South Bend.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

ghcoe
02-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks MrBiggs for the info. Ghcoe

studeefrek
02-03-2008, 10:31 AM
turning wheels did an art. on 51s a couple of years ago with pro. # for each plant and model #