REMOVING TWO-PIECE WINDSHEILD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REMOVING TWO-PIECE WINDSHEILD

I bought another 50 for parts and the windsheild has new pliable rubber and tinted glass. I want to take this out and put it in the 50 that I am restoring since my rubber is in bad shape. I do not know where to start on getting the glass and rubber out. Can someone give me some ideas. There is no stainless in the rubber.

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

The glass is installed with the rubber on it from the outside. Try prying the inner rubber flange down while applying out ward pressure on the glass. You might need help. Go slow and work your way around. Remember to remove the center bar. If cement was used it may very well cause you a problem. New rubber is available from Studebaker parts vendors.

Comment

Richard, I just want to make sure I learn clearly here. 1950 Studebakers with one piece windshields are installed from the inside. Two piece are installed from the outside? This is good to know, as I work on the business coupe next.

Perry
      '23 Special Six,
      '50 Business Champ,
      '50 Starlight Champ,
      '60 Lark droptop,
      '63 GT R1
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champion
      \'50 Starlight Champion
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I think it'd be a LOT easier to cut the rubber. Stude guys sell it brand new, ya know. I don't know how you'd remove the windshield and save the rubber, I've never tried.

Perry, I've never seen any post-war Stude that had the glass installed from the inside. All the ones we've done (one and two piece windshields), we put the rubber on, set the bottom on the windshield on the 'groove', wrap a string around the outside of the rubber, and pull it in. The person pulling the string is inside the car, but not the glass. Hope this helps.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Do you have a service manual for your Stude?
          You should get one.
          It will answer a lot of your questions, and is money well spent.
          I found a link that has a pretty good section on glass....
          And they show the string method, which you will be using.
          Hope the info helps....
          Jeff[8D]

Covers rebuilding engines and carburetors, replacing upholstery, repairing fuel tanks, cleaning chrome, and restoring license plates

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jimmie

I bought another 50 for parts and the windsheild has new pliable rubber and tinted glass. I want to take this out and put it in the 50 that I am restoring since my rubber is in bad shape. I do not know where to start on getting the glass and rubber out. Can someone give me some ideas. There is no stainless in the rubber.
            In 1950 ....BOTH the 1-piece and 2-piece windshields are installed from INSIDE the car. To remove them... you push them back INTO the car...

For the 2-piece:
            Cover the dash with some painters tape and a towel/cloth.
            Remove the center clip (top) for the inside garnish moulding. Remove the rear view mirror, The inside center bar should be loose and can be removed also. The outside center bar can now be removed too...

Starting at a lower outside corner... use a putty knife to work the weatherstrip over the flange.. work your way up the windshield side post to the top corner. Once you have a side loose, you can work across the BOTTOM.. until the glass can be slipped out.

Geeze... I shoulda just posted a pic...but it'd be too big
            Click on the link- it's 500kb..

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
            Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Didn't know that Ray, thanks for correcting me. That's why you're the restoration guy, and I'm not.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Thanks Studeman.I had may instructions reversed. The helper out side has to pry the rubber over the lip.

Comment

Just chop the roof off.

Comment

Working...
                  X