Pilot bearings and input pinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot bearings and input pinions

I am slowly piecing together a Lark taxi like transmission (T86/90) and 10.5 inch clutch package for my 62 hardtop until I can get a V8 and overdrive package the way I want it and then this OHV six drive train will go into another Lark.

I have my engine plate from a Late Champ pickup and a V8 bellhousing which fit together nicely. My transmission is a cross between a 1965 Taxi transmission with a top shifter and a T86 transmission case from a Wagoneer. The tranny guts fit nicely into the T86 case and I originally used the T86 input shaft because I thought I would have my V8 ready to go. Well the T86 input shaft will not work on the six because the pilot bore on the sixes that I have is only 3/4 of an inch and the nose of the input pinion/shaft is 3/4 of an inch.

I have the original T90 input shaft which is about an inch shorter than the original T86 input shaft but it may fit provided I can find a pilot bearing with an outside diameter of 3/4 and an inside diameter of around 19/32 which is a very thin walled (X/64) pilot.

I test fit everything to the best of my ability short of changing input pinions... I think the T90 shaft will work but how far does the nose of the input shaft need to go into the pilot?

This is getting more complicated as I go on

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Jeff, The six used a pilot of .812" OD and .625" ID, it pressed into the flywheel rather than the crank and the bellhousing on the six isn't as deep as the 8. You need a .812" X .750" pilot bearing which I can make up for you in a couple of days and send it to you if you want. I have the metal for your bracket but have not made the pattern yet for your shifter bracket for my pantogram.

Comment

I think what I need to do is get the dimensions for the pilot bore used with the later Y1 taxies and 8E series six cylinder trucks that use the 10.5 inch clutch and pilot bearing #1546522 (V8 flywheel bearing in crank) Since I have a 185 six crank that needs extra machining might as well enlarge the pilot bore while a machinist is working on it. If I am going to have the crank repaired, what's extra machine operation cost aside from repairing a couple of gouged journals

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
      The Replacements.
      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
      The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
      X