PDA

View Full Version : Speedster Gages and Panel

birdbrain1
11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Another Speedster question regarding the gages and panel. The 55 shop manual does not address the following:

1. Toggle switches need the nut removed and pushed inward.
2. Cannot figure out just by looking underneath how the starter lock is fastened to the panel
3. For all the gages, do all connections need to be disconnected so the they can be pushed outward as these gages have a ring around them so it seems they cannot be pushed inward.
4. Asking all these questions because somewhere in the 107 pages of technical talk, someone ask how these rings are removed. I can't find that page again but remember the answer was that they can be carefully pried off, but there seems to be an issue as to putting them back on.

The rings are quite tarnished and I seem to remember that someone stated they had these rechromed. However, if getting to these rings is as involved as I envision, I'll just try my best to clean them in place.

Again, thank you for any and all comments.

klifton1
11-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Push in from the back side and turn at the sam time. A spring and collar should let the switch come out of the front.
There are 2 nuts on the back side of each gage also a bracket that bridges each gage that will come off after the nuts. Then the gage will come out the front. I think the wires are long enough to let that happen.
There is spl. tooling to put the rings on. I'm not sure that should be tried at home. There are gage repair shops the can do it right. The rings are still avaiable. Good gages are hard to find.
How is the panel insert ?
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

birdbrain1
11-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Thank you for your information regarding removal of the starter lock and gages. The panel insert is good except one area that seems to have been sanded to the extent that the small circles are gone.

Since I have lots of other work to do on the Speedster, I will do this work sometime in the future. I assume if I use a gage repair shop, all connections to the gages will have to be disconnected. Just for information at this time, how do I find these shops and who sells the rings.

Thanks again.

klifton1
11-14-2006, 08:44 PM
The wireing is not real difficult. Tag wires as they are removed. I used APT Insterments Int. Inc.
9632 Humboldt Ave S
Minneapolis Mn.
952-881-7095

They are not cheap, but they are good.
All the wires will have to be removed to get the gages free of the dashboard.
They have a tool that I think, rolls the new bezels back on so they fit flush to the dash.
Can I get any info about your Speedster?
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

birdbrain1
11-16-2006, 01:09 PM
The 55 Speedster was purchased through e-bay and was located in Connecticut. It was driven extensively in the 70's up to 85,000 miles. For some reason (the widow of the owner gave me all the bills connected with this car) it was totally refurbished in 95 but driven only an additional 2,500 miles when I received it.

The color is pimblico gray and congo ivory. It has the hydrovac (not working?) and power steering. Motor and transmission are fine.
Aside from the usual, pitted chrome, just a small amount of rust on the body and fenders except for the rocker panel. The inside needs replacing except the headliner still looks great.

Lots of refurbishing which is the part I really like. Just hope I can find body parts if I need them.