PDA

View Full Version : Military troop carrier

JunkYardDog
09-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Out and about today looking for parts and keeping the wife happy stopping at antique shops. I struck up a conversation with a gal who owns a studie E series much like mine and informs me her Hubby died and leaved her with a 1953 troop carrier in her back yard,it's in sad condition open cab and was converted into a water truck then had the tank taken off it so God knows what shape it's in my guess is it's not going to be beautyfull, but it was running not much more then two years ago and was driven to where it sit's now .
She wants it to go to a good home.Thinking to myself it's worth checking out and after the last antique truck show I went to and my Studebaker being the only one there it's got me to thinking maybe it's time to see what I can do the correct that problem.
I see very little on Military Stude's here on the internet other then WW II Vintage dare I say I just might be the only one on my block to own one?
So my question is how many of you can tell me where the parts for a mlitary Stude are available. I would guess this is going to be a little toughter then the war years seeing I have very little doubt there were a lot more built back in the M series then the R's.
Anyway with a little luck I'll be bringing it home this coming next week. If Its to far gone there should be some serious parts to recover off it. I'm hoping it's restoreable "Time will tell"

Guido
09-12-2008, 07:15 AM
If it is truly a 1953 (and not a WWII era US6) it would be a REO truck that was built under contract by Studebaker. As such, you will find there is not parts interchangeability with other Studebaker vehicles. There are a number of military vehicle clubs/sites and you may also want to post on the Studebaker Truck Talk site.

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

A1956GoldenHawk
09-12-2008, 11:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by JunkYardDog

Out and about today looking for parts and keeping the wife happy stopping at antique shops. I struck up a conversation with a gal who owns a studie E series much like mine and informs me her Hubby died and leaved her with a 1953 troop carrier in her back yard,it's in sad condition open cab and was converted into a water truck then had the tank taken off it so God knows what shape it's in my guess is it's not going to be beautyfull, but it was running not much more then two years ago and was driven to where it sit's now .
She wants it to go to a good home.Thinking to myself it's worth checking out and after the last antique truck show I went to and my Studebaker being the only one there it's got me to thinking maybe it's time to see what I can do the correct that problem.
I see very little on Military Stude's here on the internet other then WW II Vintage dare I say I just might be the only one on my block to own one?
So my question is how many of you can tell me where the parts for a mlitary Stude are available. I would guess this is going to be a little toughter then the war years seeing I have very little doubt there were a lot more built back in the M series then the R's.
Anyway with a little luck I'll be bringing it home this coming next week. If Its to far gone there should be some serious parts to recover off it. I'm hoping it's restoreable "Time will tell"

IF ...this one is a M35 Series, 2 1/2 Ton, 6 X 6 there are probably more parts & donor trucks around than any other U.S. built Military Trucks.

The older I get ...the better I was!

Lothar
09-12-2008, 11:55 PM
I haven't dealt with them myself (no need), but this company is supposed to be one of the bigger parts warehouses for army trucks. They have a catalog specifically for the Studebaker/Reo/Kaiser-Jeep 6&6 trucks.

http://www.memphisequipment.com/

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
Holdrege NE