No Heater!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Heater!

A friend of mine bought a '56 G.H. a month or so ago. The car has no sign of a heater or defroster ever being in the car. Except the heater slide lever is in the dash. The cars interior has been changed to have bucket seats {non-Stude}. He wants too add a heater & defroster. Any sugestions where to find all the parts. Also was the slide control just a blank plate on the dash on cars without heaters?
    The car came out of Georgia. A black '56 G. H. With 4 speed & Packard 352. Any one know of this car?

John Ratliff

Yes the non-Climatizer cars have a blank in the Temp. control hole and a plug in the Fan and Def. Sw. holes. This car most likely had it's units cleanly removed. A non-heater car would have a 4 in. cover over the hole in the air box where the short 4" Dia. hose would go to the in fender fan motor?

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Ratliff

A friend of mine bought a '56 G.H. a month or so ago. The car has no sign of a heater or defroster ever being in the car. Except the heater slide lever is in the dash. The cars interior has been changed to have bucket seats {non-Stude}. He wants too add a heater & defroster. Any sugestions where to find all the parts. Also was the slide control just a blank plate on the dash on cars without heaters?
      The car came out of Georgia. A black '56 G. H. With 4 speed & Packard 352. Any one know of this car?

John Ratliff
      John, would your friend care to share the Serial Number of his '56 G.H.? If yes, many of us here have all the '56 G.H. production records on CD and can identify how his Hawk was equipped from the Factory.

The older I get ...the better I was!

Comment

Since Studebaker didn't use a 4 speed until 1961, it would be interesting to know what 4 speed transmission was used to convert this car, what bell housing, and what adapter if any. Also if it was a stick shift car to begin with of if some sort of clutch linkage was adapted.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

What part of Georgia? Is this the one that was on eBay?

Like Last Man said, get us the serial number, or even the body tag number. I've got that CD too, and I could post the build sheet here.

There's another black '56J with a 4 speed around here, I think in the Jacksonville, FL area.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

If you're not interested in originality, I bought a Vintage Air Com-Pac unit off ebay. Heater and defrost only but a very compact unit and blows heat and air like a modern car. Just a word however, I have a 62 dash in my 54K but it fits great and comes with controls. Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

What part of Georgia? Is this the one that was on eBay?

Like Last Man said, get us the serial number, or even the body tag number. I've got that CD too, and I could post the build sheet here.

There's another black '56J with a 4 speed around here, I think in the Jacksonville, FL area.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Matthew, this car was listed in the July issue of Turning Wheels.
              The 4 speed is a T10, disc braks & black/red leather interior. Also an ajustable steering column. Looks funny with a small steering wheel. He also wants to change that. The brake & clutch peddles are hung from the fire wall. Looks like a very clean job.
              Will get the number the next time I talk to him.
              John Ratliff

Comment

Working...
              X