Can anyone help with these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with these?

It seems my question about after market or original accessories that may have been offered has been taken lightly, so I thought I would make a new post. I found these on a 1953 Coupe parts car that I have and would like to know if they were offered by Studebaker, or are they an aftermarket item. They fit the contour of the door perfectly. They mount on the top of the door where ones arm would rest while driving. We all have had the problem with the paint coming off in this area becsue the oils in the skin. So any information would be appreciated as to the correctness of these on the 53 or 54 coupe.
    [img][/img]

Domenic Manera
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

I don't have an answer for your question, If you've been on this forum for any time the posts do tend to digress and get off topic sometimes due to the good nature of all on the forum. However you posted in the morning and to get an ample sampling of answers you left little time for people to respond to your initial post. Its only 1:08 central and most people are not home for work yet to even look at today's forum posts. Be patient, please don't feel you've been slighted in your post, and someone with an answer will answer.

ChopStu
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I remember buying some of these at Western Auto years ago before air conditioning. I had a pair on a 57 Ford that looked just like those.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

I remember some embossed aluminum film (contact) pieces, probably Western Auto, that you cut to shape and stuck on. They got awfully hot after sitting in the sun, just like the paint did.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction 469 hrs.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

I don't remember these as being Studebaker items. I just went back and looked at 1953 and 1954 accessories lists. They are NOT included. I do remember these as bing an aftermarket thing, like Western Auto.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hello; I think the postings you've already received has answered your original question. No, these were not Studebaker factory authorized accessories. They were aftermarket, either J.C. Whitney or Warshafsky (spelling?). I recall in my teenage years that a few were seen on different vehicles in my part of the world. I don't remember any Studebakers with them. Heck, there weren't that many Studebakers in my part of the world, to think of it!!!!

I have quite a collection of 1953 factory literature, including one of five salesman's data books extant. As one posting has stated, these things would be mighty hot on a sunny day, and without air conditioning, you had to drive with windows down. In those days, most drivers (don't remember that many women drivers), had their elbows resting on top of the door and many drivers still used hand (arm) signals. I'm sure the factory didn't see a lot of profit in offering these as an accessory.

Frank Drumheller
            Louisa, VA
            60S-W6
            1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

Working...
            X