Turn signal harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn signal harness

On my 1961 hawk below the steering column is a large plug also there is a series of plugs for the turn signals, I don't have any pic's of this connected. There is also a wire that runs from the large plug that had a "bullet" type end on it I don't know where that connects either.I am trying to get these signals to workany help appreciated.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Rodney, Chuck Collins has the wiring diagrams posted on his site.

That might help you figure out from the color of the wires which connectors they need to go to.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Clark, I have been using that wire schematic since the beginning. The wires I am trying to connect are the ones in this pic. Do you see the two yellow wires and than the two black wires they all have female connectors on them.

Studebakers forever!
      Studebakers forever!

Comment

Wow! That's an awful lot of unplugged wires there!

I can tell you that Black wires tend to be part of the instrument lamp common power bus. The only two solid Yellow wires in the car are power sends from the instrument panel switches to the heater blower motor and the wipers, but they certainly aren't ganged.

I hate to say it, but I think the best thing for you to do is visually trace these connectors back to their sources, and use an ohmmeter to verify your findings.

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

That is a serious mess, I see the large Ga. Red power feeder wires that go to the Ampmeter, and also the output wires FROM the Ampmeter to the Ign. Sw. I think, just hanging there. Also the Orange Temp. Gauge wire.
          I think the Yellow and dirty Green and Black? wires at the bottom of the pic that have been cut, are "ganged" at the other end because they are from a electric trigger Sw. on an Automatic windshield washer pump and go to the wiper switch so the wires to the wiper motor can also be connected. [:0]

I can't even see the Turn Sig. wires breaking out of the steering column at all!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is the dash still in the car? and is ANYTHING hooked up to it?

I have a reason for asking....

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Yes ray, actually I tested a number of things today, the heater blower works, wipers, cig lighter,all gauges work now, all but the signal lights. I even have the radio lights on. The high beam indicator works as well. The horn and the signal lights are the only thing missing in action.

Studebakers forever!
              Studebakers forever!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

The horn and the signal lights are the only thing missing in action.
                I'll get you a good photo of both sides of the connector in the morning...

As for the horn... is there a wire exiting the very end of the steering box (in the engine bay)? It should be plugged into a female pigtail (white?)... that is located in the same part of the harness (2-red wires w/female pigtails) as the brake-light switch (on the frame)

I can get a photo of this also...

Ray

Ray

Comment

There is a long wire in this pic, it comes from the turn signal connection box. I think this wire powers the signal lights.The park lights do work and I think I saw the left side signal light indicator come on when I had the headlights on.

Studebakers forever!
                  Studebakers forever!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

There is a long wire in this pic, it comes from the turn signal connection box. I think this wire powers the signal lights.
                    What color is it really? If it's RED w/White tracer... it powers the brake lights. (through the turn signal canceler). This wire should go into the harness- not just hang there..

The Turn Signal circuit works like this:

Power from the fuse-panel and Flasher-unit goes through the BLACK wire to the turn signal switch. This circuit is normally "closed" until a turn signal is activated. When the turn signal is used, one of the tail lights (and it's indicator light) draw power through the flasher (making it blink).... ... at the same time, the TS switch prevents any power going to that taillight from the Red/Wt tracer wire in the brake circuit. But the TS switch allows power to the opposite Brake-light

Brake Light Circuit-
                    Power comes out of the fuse-panel through a RED wire to the brake-light switch. When the brakes are pressed, the power is allowed to go through the RED/White tracer wire to the turn signal switch. If a turn signal is NOT used during braking- the power just bypasses the TS switch and goes to BOTH taillights.

IF you are braking AND using a turn signal, ... the power goes to the TS switch.. but is directed to the OPPOSITE Brake-Light ONLY.

The park lights do work and I think I saw the left side signal light indicator come on when I had the headlights on.

This is most likely due to the brake-lights getting a partial ground through the bulb.
                    Here's where the wire from the horn (from horn switch under horn ring- through steering column- out the bottom of the steering box)

Here are the wires coming from the steering column to the large plug:

This is how they would hook up if looking at the very END of the plug with the cutout at the bottom

Ray

Comment

Ray, its ones like you that rise above & beyond the call of duty that make this forum & our club better than others. For you to take the time & effort to post these photos for all of us to see & have is something to behold, & that goes for everyone here that is so willing to share their knoledge & help.

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I'm afraid this will add nothing to the discussion, but this is my problem/progress with the turn signal wiring on my 55.

When I disassembled it, the insulation just downstream from the turn signal switch disintegrated, fell off for about two and one half inches. I pulled the cable out and found that the heat and time had bleached all the wires so that while I could tell that some had tracer colors, I couldn't tell what color they had been or what the tracer had been.

I'm starting over. I installed a terminal strip and hooked the wires from the other end of the six terminal connector to the strip. I've jumpered to the brake lights (the yellow wire) and have identified left and right front and rear turn signals.

I still have to rewire the switch, itself, 7 terminals, six wires, and figure out what goes where, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                        Tom Bredehoft
                        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                        (Under Construction 469 hrs.)
                        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Geez Whiz! Ray, that's awesome. I'm bookmarking this.

But Rodney, I'm confused... the pix you posted look like two different cars!

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

Clark, that's before and after. my car is restored now those early pic's were when it was first taken apart.

As always thanks Ray, I will get a chance to check the wiring after they retorque the head and adjust the valves.

I got the temp gauge working along with the high/low beams on the head lights. It seems that I have more wires than places to put them. I looked today and saw why the horn is not working, I will have to wait until it comes home to do the majority of the corrections.

We drove the car today and got it good and heated up. I had a chance to drive it thur the gears and really push it. The front suspension and springs are great the ride is very firm and the steering has zero play I felt no bumps in the road. I am very happy with my work and the Studebaker technology[]100mph here I come!

Studebakers forever!
                            Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
                            X