Paint Code Location & Color Formulas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Code Location & Color Formulas

Where is the paint code located on a 57 Golden Hawk? Can this code (numbner) be used to identify a standard PPG or Dupont formula for mixing the correct colors, i.e. cream white and metalic gold? I know I am not the first to need these paint formulas for refinishing, using the correct Studebaker colors. Would PPG or Dupont not already ghave these formulas to equate to my car's paint code numbers. Thanks

Most any Studebaker has the name of the colors on a tag glued to the bottom of the glove box.
    these names cross reference to paint manufacturers charts.
    Most of these are obsolete.
    The best way is to find a sample of the original paint on your car on an hidden panel that was not exposed to light and
    take it to a paint store and they can match it.
    Many 57 Golden Hawks were painted these colors but if you look at restored ones you don;t find any two the same.
    It may be that someone just restored one and can give you the paint code from a modern paint.

Comment

quote: Most any Studebaker has the name of the colors on a tag glued to the bottom of the glove box.
      Had is more likely than has and, like you said, it's the name of the color, not the code. Having your local paint jobber scan a clean sample will produce a match to the closest modern formula. If it calls for a touch of pearl or metallic and your original paint had none, simply delete it from the mix.

Someone here posted an 800 DuPont phone number. The poster indicated you could call DuPont and they could provide the correct original formula. Anyone recall the number?

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you have a paint code & the Ditzler (the brand name PPG went by then) paint number, PPG will cross-referrence it to a modern formula, however, it will not be an exact match, but somewhat close. I have check on my 63 Hawk "rose mist" & the replacement color to me was not acceptable.

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Also you can check this link at the Autocolor Library for the 1957
          Studebaker - Packard automobile colors:

Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

and this one that shows commerical and Tutones for 1957 and 1958:

Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

glen
          Nowhere, AZ
          "Freedom Through Vigilance"

Comment

The colors you want are Arctic White and Tiara Gold. Modern formulas are shown here.......

Scroll down 'til you see 'Paint Formula Page' and click on that, then find your two colors by name.

Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
            X