Avanti Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Transmission

The 63 automatics transmissions were manufactured by who (what co.) and they were called what. e.g GM 700r4 etc. Can any body help with this info. Above the tranny dipstick on the right side, there is a small plate with a gasket and this plate openning is called what. I have a rebuilt tranny that keeps leaking from this spot.

Is this automatic really a Ford transmission? Thanks for the info.[?]

Ford used a Stude transmission. It is called a 67-72 Iron case Cruse-O-Matic. They came in 2 flavors and both 1st gear starts. One was a non-vacuum and the other used a vacuum modulator. You can use parts out of them to build a 1st gear start Flight-O. But you had better take it to a trans shop or know what you are doing. Easy to rebuild except for some special tools and a 20 ton hydraulic press.

Comment

Technically, they both used a Borg Warner, so Ford did not use a Studebaker transmission.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Way more detail than the OP asked for, but the same basic Borg-Warner three-speed automatic was at various times between 1956-72 used by Studebaker-Packard, AMC, IH, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Checker, Jaguar, and a bunch of other European makes. After 1972, it was re-designed and continued to be used by Ford and AMC up into the 1980s. As Alan said some were first gear start, some were second gear start, some had vacuum modulators and some didn't, some were column shift, some were floor shift. Any good transmission shop should still have the parts and know how to fix one.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

The small gasketed plate on the right side closes in the access to the governor. The cork gasket used has a habit of leaking if the screws have been overtightened. Best to remove the plate and clean both surfaces well (brakeclean) and forget the gasket but use a 1/8" bead of RTV around the mating surface of the plate and around the screw holes and set lightly in place with the screws but do not squeeze out all the RTV. Let it set for a day and then give the screws another 1/2 turn. RTV is good stuff but needs to be used sparingly so it doesn't end up getting inside the machinery and causing all sorts of problems. Some believe if a little is good then a whole lot more is even better. Taint so! On the left side is a serial no. plate with the no. stamped. Unfortunately, the Borg Warner trans had the series no. printed on the plate and that usually got scuffed off or painted over or stipped during shop rebuilds. The "green" tag Powershifts are an AS2-10 for axle ratios up to 3.73 while the "red" tag units are an AS4-10 for ratios of 4.09 and up. Somewhere I have a listing of all the BW series for all companies up into the mid 60's.

Comment

Anyone know the internal differences between the AS2 and the AS4? Would assume AS4 with lower gear ratio rear axles might use heavier governor weights to shift sooner.

Also, WCP, when you find it, refresh our memories as to all the manufacturers who used the B-W

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

Jack, the only difference between the 2 transmissions is that of the speedometer drive gear, 1546046 (BW#5x-169 or 5x-169A) for the AS2-10 and 1547568 (BW#R10F-169A)for the AS4-10. Back in 1979, I rec'd 61 pages of photocopies from Borg Warner of the breakdown of all similar transmissions allowing a cross reference by individual part. I consolidated it to 24 pages and listed Stude part nos. where I had them. I didn't have some of the parts books so I couldn't include all Stude nos. (trucks etc.) That list could be updated if someone wants to take on the task. Include are Continental Motor Corp.,S-P, Willys Motors Inc, Divco Truck Division, Checker Motor Corp, International Harvester Co, United Tractor & Mat'l Handling Equip. Co, Taskmaster Equip. Co, American Motors Corp, and Clark Equipment Co. I could bring the info to Lancaster if someone wants to take on the task of updating and uploading the data for all. I'm not sure the individual in the tech dept. that sent me the info had the blessing of management so there could be problems publishing the original BW sheets. My compilation has eliminated the BW nos. and notes for that reason.

Comment

Jack, for some reason your last post has not appeared on my computer.

Comment

HI, WCP,

thanks for the info.

jack vines

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

It has been many years since I did it but you can put the valve body from Ford FMX transmission, modify the case to use the vacume modulator (you just need to drill and tap the case for the modulator) and you MUST use the Ford detent even if you have the powershift transmission. If you don't you find that the valve body is not in the correct possition and you will soon ruin the transmission due to slipage. You can also take a complete FMX and use the Studebaker input shaft. I found the "paper type clutch plates are better than the sintered bronze used in the Studebaker.

I would suggest that if you want someone to rebuild one of these transmissions try to find a shop that has been arround for at least 30 or 40 years and has some people that have been rebuilding transmissions for about that length of time.

David L
                    David L

Comment

It is interesting to note that the American Motors '64 floorshift Ambassador model 6480 used an AS2-10A and '64 model 6450 Classic used a AS4-10A. These transmissions shared the same control valve bodies and most but not all of the parts of the Stude Powershift trans. control valve unit.

Comment

Working...
                      X