PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody notice the single copy of Turning Whe$

Dick Clemens
09-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Did any body notice the single copy of Turning Wheels that went for $56.00 ths evening? At that price would any body like to buy my collection? I'll even deliver to Lancaster, FREE!!

studedick from the lower Ozarks

StudeDave57
09-05-2008, 11:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Clemens

Did any body notice the single copy of Turning Wheels that went for $56.00 ths evening? studedick

Good greif!!! [:0] Which issue was it [?] [?] [?]
(I wonder if I have it... ;))

StudeDave '57 [8D]

Dick Clemens
09-05-2008, 11:11 PM
November 1981. Weasel issue.

StudeDave57
09-05-2008, 11:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Clemens

November 1981. Weasel issue.
I ain't got that one~ I was only 11 years old at the time.
I didn't join SDC (on my own) until 1986 or so. [:0] ;) [B)]
Note to self- Weasels are the 'new' Avantis.
Bring tons of cash or go home...

StudeDave '57 [8D]

bams50
09-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Embarrassing to me... here I am only a 4-year member......[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

StudeDave57
09-05-2008, 11:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Embarrassing to me... here I am only a 4-year member...... [:I]
Robert (Bob)
It's all good Bob~ you got it 'right' pretty early on.
Not only did you get a '57, you got a '57 WAGON!!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]

rockne10
09-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Nice to know it's worth that much to someone. I'll keep mine; don't want to break up a thirty year set.

Message to others: Never throw away your TURNING WHEELS. The resource will be valuable to some future Stude owner or researcher.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

N8N
09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
I've managed to put together a full set (missing ONE issue) by buying up $1 issues at meets and also buying a few large lots when I had the opportunity... now I'll have to read 'em all fast and put 'em on ebay!

nate

(kidding, really!)

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Mark57
09-06-2008, 12:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Embarrassing to me... here I am only a 4-year member......[:I]

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

Don't feel bad Bob... I'm only an 18 month member this time around. The 7 years of membership in the late '70s and early '80s apparently count for naught with the club.

<h5>[b]Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/CandyStoreThumb.jpg

Roscomacaw
09-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Mark, your groan is one I share. The 7 or so years I was with SDC initially, don't count now. I've NEVER understood why that's so. Now I'm credited with only 23 years. I'm denied credit for the prior 7.:( There were 3 years I wasn't a member because my life was rather transient at that point.[V]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Jeff T.
09-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I do not know how the SDC counts time in grade, I took a few years off in the 1980s and later in the 1990s for various reasons and it was not counted against me when I became eligible for the 25 year pin so come 2009 it will count as 30 years unless the SDC changed the rules:) or perhaps the rules are so arcane you need a jd and a phd to understand them

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

Dick Clemens
09-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I originally joined the club around 1967. Announced my engagement to my second wife at a meeting of the Los Angeles chapter at the Pirates Cove in Hollywood in 1968. Dropped my membership while raising the kids. Always had a Studebaker. But not much money.
So I would have been a 41 year member. Duty calls befor pleasure.

Dick Clemens
09-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Just saw several years of Turning Whells at a penny a year. Some very good years too. But he's got $18.75 for shipping and handling.

studedick from thhe lower Ozarks

studee64
09-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I missed a year or two in the late 80's when my wife passed away and life became a little unorganized for a while. I can see not counting the missing years, but not recognizing those original years after a member rejoins should maybe be a rule the SDC should re-think?.

Allowing a one time re-enlistment recognizing total seniority might be more appropriate. Based on the comments received, many members may agree losing all those initial years is not considered to be the fairest way to go.

Barry Leppan
Burlington, Ont. Canada
64 Daytona HT 5-spd
64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/Powershift

studegary
09-06-2008, 09:06 PM
It was set up to count continuous years of membership. I have received my 40 year pin.

I have every Turning Wheels published and mailed to me (plus the earlier Pres. Letter, Quarterly, etc.). I have sold a few old issues, that I have duplicates of, usually for $1-$2 each. I don't currently plan on selling my set of TW (I guess like most things - if the offer was high enough).

I have seen almost complete sets advertised for $200-$250.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

A1956GoldenHawk
09-06-2008, 09:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by studee64

&lt;snip&gt; Allowing a one time re-enlistment recognizing total seniority

SENIORITY[?][?][?]

You mean like if SDC Memberships become limited to a certain number like Country Clubs, etc., Gary L. might get bumped out by a member with 41 years seniority[?] :D[:o)]

The older I get ...the better I was!

studegary
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk

quote:Originally posted by studee64

&lt;snip&gt; Allowing a one time re-enlistment recognizing total seniority

SENIORITY[?][?][?]

You mean like if SDC Memberships become limited to a certain number like Country Clubs, etc., Gary L. might get bumped out by a member with 41 years seniority[?] :D[:o)]

There are members with more continuous years in SDC than I have, but if that was the criterion, it would be a small club.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

BobGlasscock
09-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Yeah, and then there would be those, like me, who would want a claim to continuous ownership of a car. Too many quibble points.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

fstst56
09-06-2008, 11:07 PM
I have every issue since March 1977.

At $56.00 per month, let's see. I guess I have over $20,000.00
worth!!!

eBay here I come!!!

studee64
09-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Nothing to do with seniority as you see it.., just recognition of how many years a member has belonged to the SDC, even if they missed a renewal..

Barry Leppan
Burlington, Ont. Canada
64 Daytona HT 5-spd
64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/Powershift

Dick Clemens
09-07-2008, 01:45 AM
That was $56.00 for one month, one single month, one copy. I bought close to 600 copies for less then that at the meet in Omaha in 06.

Skip Lackie
09-07-2008, 11:37 AM
It's just a guess, but I suspect that SDC's membership records have not been maintained well enough to support counting years when there was a break in membership. Obviously, during the early (pre-computer) years of the club, the records were kept on paper. I don't know exactly when the SDC membership records were computerized, but I don't think any major effort was devoted to properly accounting for how long each member had already been on board when these records were digitized.

As I recall, the seniority pins were first authorized in the early 1980s. Gay Wittenberg was in charge of assembling the seniority list, and reported that some records had been lost and/or were inadequate to support the preparation of a list of long-time members. She finally had to resort to soliciting the names from the members themselves. She then had to check them all, one at a time.

SDC has changed membership secretaries a number of times, not always amicably. Under those circumstances, the losing firm may not have had a strong motivation to make sure that membership records were as complete as possible.

A member rejoining after a hiatus starts the clock running again from zero. To account for their earliier period of membership, an earlier start date would have to be created and manually inserted in the records. I'm not sure SDC even has a policy on how such situations should be handled.

Skip Lackie
Board member, Atlantic Zone