Cowl tag streamer info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowl tag streamer info needed

I was thinking about the streamer tags today. Here's the tag from the Skytop:

A few people said they'd really like to have one. In fact I'd like to have more myself.

Mike G. mentioned he had some blanks these tags were made from. That got me thinking about repops; how hard could it be? Just a matter of figuring out how to repro the type.

So I took the above tag off and took it to a good friend of mine. He's a second-generation old-school master machinist. I wanted to see if he had any ideas for reproducing the stamping. He asked to keep the tag and mull it over. He's going to consult with his foundry guy at the end of the month and see what they can come up with.

So for now, I have a few questions:

1. What are they made of? I heard lead mentioned once, but it seems too hard for that. I drew the edge across paper and it didn't leave a line. A magnet doesn't pick it up. So, you got me.

2. How many different ones were there? I know "sun.roof" and "4-speed". Were there more? Also, any pictures of them would be great.

3. Any opinions on how much demand there would be for these? I think those that want them would really love to get them, but how many would that add up to- maybe 20 of each? More? Less?

4. Any suggestions on how to recreate the type? We're thinking creating dies; just not sure how to do so.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, opinions, and ideas. No promises, but we're giving it a try![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I had a tag that simply said "KIT"...
    It was for a 1962 Taxi...
    Never did find out what all the KIT entailed...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

To reproduce the tags...
      How about checking with a local tool & die company?

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The body number on all Canadian built cars from at least '63 on were streamers. Only the model identifier was screwed to the firewall.

I've heard that these streamers were only on SOME of the cars. For example, not all 4 speed cars got a 4 speed streamer.

It would be great to know the WHOLE story behind the streamers.

When did Studebaker start using them?

Why were they only used for certain options?

What options received a streamer?

Why did some cars get the streamer and others didn't with the same option (if what I heard is true)?

Did ALL Studebaker factories use streamers?

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I was thinking about the streamer tags today.

3. Any opinions on how much demand there would be for these? I think those that want them would really love to get them, but how many would that add up to- maybe 20 of each? More? Less?
          Thank you in advance for your thoughts, opinions, and ideas. No promises, but we're giving it a try![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
          Bob,

I need one for my Skytop.....mine was broken off (just the edge left under the screw) before I got the car. I guess I would take a spare too....

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

There is a huge tool and die and stamping company next door to my buddy's body shop. If you want me to check with them,let me know.

Comment

As JDP would say "Let Google be your friend". Looked up embossed metal tags and found out the solution may be as simple as purchasing an embossing machine. Bob http://www.metaltags.com/machines.htm

Comment

I'm sure Dwain will chime in here, but you can buy the die stencil machine that does the lettering. It's like a Dymo label maker actually - only with positive and negative "sets" on a rotary wheel. Manually operated, they are not cheap! Besides that, while there are one's that can handle the material the streamers are made with, they aren't flexible enough to do the standard body tags as well. Besides, the body tags used larger font than these stencil units offer.
                It's long been a wonder - WHERE did Studebaker's stencil machine disappear to? It's pretty obvious it didn't make the jump to Canada 'cause the Canadian cars didn't use the same size and style of tags. Does anyone know of the body tubs for Canadian cars were jig built IN Canada? If so, that would explain why/how they got away with different style tags.
                Cars outta the LA plant had tags exactly like the ones from SB, so I assume the body tubs were of SB manufacture.

While I've talked about this before, I've got the streamer tag that someone found on a '64 Commander sedan some years ago. It says "SPEC QTR" on it. And there was nothing outwardly od or different about the car. Richard Quinn looked up the PO for that car and there's nothing on it that points to that streamer's abbreviated message or meaning![B)]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I question why they put the hole to attach it on the right side of the streamer? Why not put it on the left, or was it initially meant to be on the left, but some other conciderations put it on the right?

60 Lark convertible
                  61 Champ
                  62 Daytona convertible
                  63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2)
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I have one that came off of my 63 Lark parts car that I can't figure out what it means.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

sweetolbob, most of the machines on that site have the capability to do rather small characters. They wouldn't be ANYthing close to authentic in appearance.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Leonard, some years ago I got one off a 61 sedan that just has a "G" on it! Go figure![:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

Comment

I think that Gary Ash did some research on this and posted either here or on Studebaker Truck Talk. As Mr. Biggs mentions, this takes a machine to emboss the tags. The problem that Gary had was matching up the font.

Speaking of wondering where the stencil machine went, I am still kicking myself for being a CASO and not getting the tailgate stencil machine when Dennis put it up for sale.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

It's long been a wonder - WHERE did Studebaker's stencil machine disappear to? [/B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door
                            A second mystery - where did the machine(s) that stamped the serial numbers into the serial number plates disappear to? Did Nate Altman get it (or them) and use them for the Avanti II serial number plates?? If so, where is it now?

Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Yes, the problem isn't finding embossing tools, it's duplicating the font. That's what we're trying to figure out.

If we can clear that hurdle, the rest is no big deal.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X