My 1941 Champion Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1941 Champion Coupe

Greeting to all here. I've been looking for a good resource site and a place to make some friends. My name is Robert and I live in the Middle Tennessee area. I recently bought a car off Craigslist (you gotta love it) and I thought I'd share it with all here. I found the car on CL in the Atlanta area. After hours of discussion over the phone and reviewing numerous pictures I decided to take a leap of faith with cash in hand and drive to Atlanta and check out the car. My son-in-law drove his new Hemi Grand Cherokee with a new car hauler in tow just in case. I've been looking for a solid street rod to piddle with and this one was a good candidate. I'm still a diehard classic mustang lover but this 41 really caught my eye and screamed "take me home". I hope you enjoy the pictures. I'll post more upon request. I hope to squeeze some info out of you guys and gals on this car. Here we go..The car has a Chevelle subframe with front power disc brakes and rear drum. Engine is mild modified 350 and a 350 auto. Equipped with vintage heat and air. Not sure on the wheels but the are in excellent shape. Fat 50's on the rear. Mustang II rack up fron with manual steering box. Windows rattle when down but that's another project. I little bit of rust bubbles on the doors to deal with. Below are a few pictures. Hello to all.. -=robert=-

1941 Champion 3G Coupe

NICE!!!
    Welcome to the club!

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

WOW! Great lookin ride! Glad to have ya!

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Very nice car. I have owned three Studebakers with similar modifications/chassis-drivetrain. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club from this site. It is only $19.95 for the first year that includes a monthly publication.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Cool ride Robert!
          (I am a sucker for yellow Stude;s...)
          Put a bumper on the front.
          Those grilles are hard to get and easy to break!
          Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Great looking car Robert,welcome to the group.

Lenny
            Atlanta Ga.

Comment

Nice car. I agree with Jeff, every Stude needs a bumper. Unless you have Jeff's truck, whereas it's so low to the ground it's useless.

[)]

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

My intention is to give the car a Studebaker look in a Street Rod style. I agree with you both. It desperately needs bumpers. In fact I was looking at some generic ones just yesterday online.Since I brought it home from Georgia I've started fixeing things. Dash bulbs replaced, hooked the speedo back up. I have a cracked window on the passenger side and in the process of removing it and replacing it. I found alot of problems on the inside I'm probably going to have to fabricate if I stay orginal. I may drop in a power window kit and be done with it. I'm going to refurbish the vent windows while I have them out and freshen the uphostery on the door.The paint is fair and it will need a new shot to get the look I want. Oh BTW it does have Stude marking on it.. I'll post a picture of it later.
                quote:Originally posted by mbstude
                Nice car. I agree with Jeff, every Stude needs a bumper. Unless you have Jeff's truck, whereas it's so low to the ground it's useless.[)]Matthew BurnetteHazlehurst, GA_________________'59 Pick-em-up Truck'63 Daytona
                1941 Champion 3G Coupe Street Rod
                Proud native Tennessean and Retired
                "Life's too short.. Eat your cake first"
                Pleasant View, Tennessee

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Cool ride Robert!
                  (I am a sucker for yellow Stude;s...)
                  Put a bumper on the front.
                  Those grilles are hard to get and easy to break!
                  Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                  Found this picture the other day.. Hey there where really yellow Studes back then.

1941 Champion 3G Coupe Street Rod
                  Proud native Tennessean and Retired
                  Pleasant View, Tennessee

Comment

Nice coupe, glad to have you in Studesville, stick around, you'll be hooked like the rest of us. Don't say nothing to the wife, but this may not be your last Stude.
                    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Well, Robert it looks like you have found a great little car. If you decide to put bumpers back on it why not 41 Champion Bumpers? I have a source if you are interested. Oh by the way there is a great Studebaker Chapter in your area known as the Middle Tennessee Chapter with lots of great folks in it. You need to look them up and join in the fun that you can have playing with these great cars. Also if you have not bitten the bullet and joined the SDC you can do that inside the SDC site here on the internet at the low first year rate of $19.95. Great infomation available there too including the fantastic monthly all Studebaker magazine known as "Turning Wheels."
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Ahhh... a '41 Coupe! Was my first car at 18, payed $150.00 for it and it was a complete Champ (frozen-up engine though). Wanted to rod it, had big dreams and no dough,long gone now... But that didn't stop me from get a Stude later on!

Welcome to the Club(or virus maybe)! Very cool car!! Keep the pics coming and, don't forget to drive it on The 4th of July, 2009-International Drive Your' Studebaker Day!!!

Comment

Took yours and others advise and joined the SDC. I've been a Studebaker fan since 1963 when I tried to talk my mom into buying a Avanti.. She didn't.. -=robert=-
                          quote:Originally posted by studegary

Very nice car. I have owned three Studebakers with similar modifications/chassis-drivetrain. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club from this site. It is only $19.95 for the first year that includes a monthly publication.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          1941 Champion 3G Coupe

Robert Kidwell - Pleasant View, Tennessee 37146

Proud new member of the SDC

Comment

Just an update. Since my first post I've aquired some 41 parts yet to be installed.

Complete dshboard
                            Front and rear bumpers
                            Front fenders.. (don't need)
                            Full color belt trim
                            Full hood trim
                            Hood with hardware.
                            Both doors with hardware.

I've been working on the dashboard. I pulled the original gauges out and replaced them with VDO gauges guts. (sounds nasty)

I used Duplicolor rattle can Charcoal metallic for the dash. I shot clear over the metallic.

I'm wanting to put a Vintage Air unit behind the dash but I don't think it will fit. I may have to install the hangon heat/air box unit that came with the car. I've got a few pictures of what I did to the gauges to make them work in the original cluster on photobucket's website. Tell me what you think of the dash..

I think it looks a hell of a lot better than the hotrod dash that was in it. -=robert=-

Here's what it look like a few weeks ago.

and here's what the original dash looked like. Anyone need a all steel hotrod dash?

1941 Champion 3G Coupe

Robert Kidwell - Pleasant View, Tennessee 37146

Proud new member of the SDC
                            My Stude Project

Comment

Great looking unique Stude.It is smart to go looking prepared.
                              1957 Silver Hawk & 1935 Dictator Street Rod
                              Belmont, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X