Clutch & plate interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch & plate interchange

Has anyone purchased a rebuilt clutch and driven plate for a later Stude V8 from a business that sells same? I'm wondering if other cars used the same set-up as Studes and I could go in and ask for those numbers. The reason I ask, is a friend sold me what he thought was a used clutch set for a Stude V8 but it's turned out to be bigger than the holes on my flywheel. Dummy here had them rebuilt without first matching things up and now I'm stuck with a set for a chebby, or sumthin' else sacreligious! I'm hoping to go in and swap 'em for something maybe off the shelf.
    Thanks!

Western Washington, USA

If you find some usable numbers, let me know.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Chevy 409 is close enough, I'm told it's comparable to R1/R2.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Nate.. I'll order one at work, just to see.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I use the 409 Chevy pressure plate N8 mentioned, but most any Borg & Beck style from a GM or Mopar will work. The disk is pretty much a Studebaker only item.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Call South Side Brake and Clutch. They're a block off So. Tacoma Way about 54th. They have or can make any clutch you want.

Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

along the same lines (but not really) does anyone know which exact diaphragm type pressure plates work with a Stude bellhousing? I've already ground mine out for clearance but the PP that I tried (unID'd unit sitting on JDP's shelf) still would not fit. This is more for curiosity only as the 409 B&B is in and functional, but if I ever lose my mind and tear the engine down again for *real* HP I would like to know what to use. (of course, if I do that, I suppose that one of the SFI bells that Fairborn sells might not be a bad idea, either...)

thanks

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thank you all for the info!
                I think I might take the wrong stuff (and flywheel & centering tool) to where I had them refurbished and see if they have anything on the shelf that'll work.
                Will pass along any numbers that might be helpful.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Gord R in Canada was very helpful with the info for converting my Champ clutch to a GM diaphragm clutch. It made a huge difference.

Comment

I ordered a clutch kit for a 409 today... I'll let everyone know the details when it gets here, and compare it with a Stude one. I'll take pics too.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Hi, JDP,

You are 99 and 44/100 percent right on Stude parts answers. However need more explanation on
                      quote:The disk is pretty much a Studebaker only item.
                      Any time I've needed a performance clutch disc for a Studebaker V8, I've just grabbed one for a Chevy. My clutch/brake shop confirms the 1-1/8"x10-spline is the most common input shaft dimension. What makes the Stude unique and why have I always had no problems with Chevy discs?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

Jack, am I correct in thinking that a CenterForce Dual-Friction clutch system (diaphragm cluch cover, matched friction disc) for 1-1/8"-1- spline Chevy will bolt up to a Stude flywheel?

That said, what friction disc diameter? 10"-10-1/2"-11"-12"? Which size pressure plate/flywheel bolts--Chevy 3/8"-16 (ARP 130-2201)?

Thanks,

Ed

Comment

Hi, Eddie,

Yes, No, Maybe.

Since there are about six different Studebaker V8 bellhousings, two different flywheels, and five different transmissions, it is risky to state absolutely "this will fit." Someone will point out, "It won't fit the 19XX with the YY and ZZ."

In general, most of the clutch discs with 1-1/8"x10-spline hubs will fit the transmission input shaft splines. Most post-'55 Stude V8s came with 10.5" diameter, a few with 11" and we've heard of one or two big trucks with 12" as special order. For street use, the 10.5" will shift quicker and be easier on the transmission synchros. For drag racing, the 11" can be an advantage.

As to pressure plate/clutch covers, both the diaphragm and the B&B styles are available. Some covers in some bellhousings require grinding for clearance. Some require a lot of grinding.

Again, in general, discs and pressure plates are the same as Chevy and AMC V8s.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

[u]THANX!</u> That's close enough for me...

(We will now return you to our previously scheduled [pre-hijack] thread.)

Eddie

Comment

I'll take your correction about the Chevy disk. I must have been misinformed as to that application and it would not be the first time.

JDP/Maryland
                              "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                              Thomas Jefferson
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X