glass scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glass scratches

Hi, Has anybody heard of the following: I was talking to a person in San Antonio about scratches in the glass for my Lark. He told me a person can use toothpaste and buff out scratches.He says that he has done this and it worked for him. Does this sound like a put on or real?

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

Ive heard of it but never done it.I have used jewelers rouge and a small(like a dremel tool)buffer to take out light scratches before.And I think Meguires has a product that does it and I would trust it to work.
    sigpic

Comment

Groit's sells two glass polishes, one finer then the other. If you can catch the scratch with a fingernail, forget it. Minor scratches will buff out with a lot of buffing time.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

The Griot's glass polishes are very good but won't remove a scratch you can catch you're fingernail on, as already said.

If the scratch is that serious, you have two options. A glass professional can remove the scratches by buffing and slightly grinding away the glass down to the level of the bottom of the scratch, then polishing it clear. It requires actually destroying a layer of glass to save the glass if you understand what I'm getting at. You can also buy a glass restoration kit from Eastwood and do the same thing yourself if you feel you have the skills to not overdo it and ruin the glass.

I think either is a last resort option if you really want the glass made perfect and can't find a replacement. I simply choose to live with the flaws on my car's glass, though while I'd rather have the scratches gone, I'm afraid the fix might be worse than the problem.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Paste wax; I use turtle wax on my glass and it kills the small scratches that build up over twenty or thirty years of road dirt flying against the windshield.

Comment

Tooth paste is an abrasive, the most abrasive tooth pastes are the pastes advertised to make teeth lighter.(I used to run one of the dental filling stations.)

Comment

I have a friend who has been in the glass business for many years. He suggested using peanut butter instead of tooth paste. Seriously!

Chip
              '63 Cruiser daily driver
              '57 Packard wagon almost on the road!
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Model car magazines used to recommend toothpaste to buff scratches from plastic windshields.

Comment

Working...
                X