X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bringing a car to canada from usa

can someone please give me a tip on how to bring a car into canada

thanks mike

What would you like to know Mike? - Did this last year, it's pretty straight forward.

Biggest issue is to have a copy of the Vehicle Title faxed to US Customs at the Port of Entry (exit in your case ) where you wish to cross the border from the US into Canada. They must have the fax at least 72 hours ahead of the planned export time. When you show up at the border, you must present the original Title (and vehicle) to US Customs. They will stamp and perforate it after which you will proceed to Canada Border Services (CBSA) where you will need to present the Title and a signed bill of sale. CBSA will collect the GST on the spot.

Once done, you can then see about registering the vehicle in BC. (There is no rush to do this if it is not driveable). You will require a provincial mechanical inspection and all of the paperwork previously mentioned + all the paper you get from CBSA before you can register it in BC. ICBC collects the PST after which you can register and insure the vehicle.

All of this asssumes a vehicle more than 15 years old is being imported. E-mail me via the Forum if you need more detail, or post a question here and I'll respond as I'm sure the info is useful to other folks.

It is not really a big deal once you have all of the necessary paperwork in hand. The key is a signed Bill of sale and the original Title.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

if the vehicle is over 15 yrs it is easer ?? just get the person to email the proper paperwork to the border and then it is easy from that point?? the rest is just patiance at the border

Comment

quote:Originally posted by doughboywoodmike

if the vehicle is over 15 yrs it is easer ?? just get the person to email the proper paperwork to the border and then it is easy from that point?? the rest is just patiance at the border
        The process I laid out is for a vehicle 15 years of age or older... if it is newer than that, then you must also get a federal motor vehicle inspection before it can stay in Canada. Cdn. Tire has the contract with the feds to do those inspections. If you are bringing a Stude across - no worries about that!

As far as I know US Customs does not accept scanned documents e-mailed to them... must be a fax of the original Title.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

would not be anything but for this guy!!!!

Comment

By the way, either the current owner or you can fax the title to US Customs... as long as they know when to expect you and the vehicle at the border with the original Title and Bill of sale.

Hope all goes well, what did you buy??

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Mark has it right, I've imported 4 vehicles myself (and might be looking at a 5th) the only thing to add is that the title has to be in the name of the seller, also it has to be a clear title (no leins) or you have to have an original discharge letter from the lein holder in their letterhead.

Enjoy your new vehicle!

Ron

Comment

I have done this several times, both with Studebakers and later-model vehicle.

U.S. Customs has an information package and worksheet that greatly eases the process of getting the vehicle cleared for export. If you live near the border, simply drive there and pick up the package, and take the time to get familiar with where you have to park when you return with your purchase. Otherwise, you can go to www.customs.gov, and a little searching will lead you to the vehicle export information. I think you can download a worksheet now.

The faxed title (both sides) MUST accompany a fax of the filled-out worksheet. If the seller has the title, and the buyer has the worksheet, then have the seller fax the title to the buyer, who then faxes it onward to Customs. They have no means of collating faxes from different people into one case-file.

They need to have these documents 3 full business days (weekends and holidays don't count) before the date of export, and it would be prudent to call a day or two in advance to make sure the faxes were received OK, and that the paperwork is in order. I have a copy of the Blaine, WA worksheet in my hand (the worksheets seem to be port-specific, but are all similar), and the contact e-mail there is cbp.blaine-export@dhs.gov I daresay you could drop them an e-mail and request the corresponding e-mail address for your closest P.O.E. Those e-mails may also be on the Customs Website.

Once you are cleared out of the U.S.A., you have everything you need to enter the vehicle into Canada: title, bill of sale, etc. Just tell the Customs agent at the booth you are importing a vehicle, and they will tell where to park it. Don't try anything silly like having a bill of sale made out for way under the car's value to avoid GST. That can get you in a world of hurt. In fact, if the car/truck WAS an exceptionally good deal, it would not hurt to have some supporting evidence for the price paid, like an ad from TW or the eBay auction printout, or whatever. Ask me how I know!

And, be advised, that SOME later-model vehicles simply cannot be imported, and others may need fairly costly modifications before they can be registered in Canada. This is due to things like emissions, daytime running lights, and 3 mph vs. 5 mph bumpers, etc. You can go to www.riv.ca and get the skinny on that there. Forewarned is forearmed. riv.ca is the Website for the registrar of imported vehicles. Not applicable for Studebakers, but I had to do the check for my '96 Suburban.

Hope this helps.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                X