adding airconditioning to 62 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding airconditioning to 62 hawk

I have been looking at some web sights and am wondering what units people have used when adding air to a 62 Hawk. I would like to get a unit that is both heat and air along with defrost. Plan on positioning the vents in different locations, two in the center and one on each end of the dash. Any information and pics would be great.

Vintage Air. Buy it. Do it. End of discussion! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What you are asking for would be pure custom. You can try vintage air (http://www.vintageair.com) and see if you can piece something together. The easiest route is to add just the AC to the car and leave the stock heating/defrost alone, vintage air has bracket kits and they can put together the evaporator, compressor etc. for you as well. There have been several post by myself and others over the last week or so on the install of the compressor and brackets etc. Note that if you go with the Vintage Air setup you need to let them know if you have power steering or not, two different idler pulley setups. Good luck.

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Thanks. I have been looking at Vintage Air's web sight. I just sent them an email asking what I will need. I do have power everything on the car. I am having the unit installed by a professional who does custom work. Just want to make sure I get him everything he needs.

Comment

Any opinions on Classic Auto Air vs. Vintage Air? They seem to have similar components.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
          '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Hey in Dallas,

Have you heard of the other Texas-based aftermarket vintage A/C company, down in Selma (northeast of San Antonio)? It's Hot Rod Air, and I checked out their website when considering my options. I'm inclined to contact them when I get serious about A/C for my truck, as I suspect they will be more likely than Vintage Air to let me "drop in on them" with my truck so they can get ideas of what will work. Here's their website: HotRodAir.com
            {ADDED LATER}: Now that I have read the experiences of OldGuy829 (below) with Vintage Air, I'm pretty enthused that I can talk with them about what I need, as well. Esp. if the owner of the company loves Studebakers! Which reminds me - Yes, I should ask Ebon first about all this A/C stuff when the time comes.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
            Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Just have Ebon Jones ("railway" here) down in Harlingen do it for you. He is an expert AC guy and has done many many Studes. Don't reinvent the wheel! [^]

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Although I am in Dallas the car is located in St. Louis so will have the work done in that area. Will also check out Hot Rod Air and see what they have. The sights I have seen so far all seem to have the same product.

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Just have Ebon Jones ("railway" here) down in Harlingen do it for you. He is an expert AC guy and has done many many Studes. Don't reinvent the wheel! [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm in San Antonio and use Vintage Air. Couple of comments... you can drop in on Vintage Air anytime. First time I did AC I was nervous. So I drove it out there before hooking up the electrical. They did a quick confirmation I had everything right. Great service. Over the years I have learned that most companies copy VA's stuff, however, VA actually brings in the cars and installs the units during their R&D process. The Sanden compressor they use, and several other components (like the door operations on the evaporator) came about because of their research and demand for excellence. I believe their newest unit has separated the AC and Heat function from crossflow. I haven't studied up on it yet. [The owner, Jack Chisenhall, has a 53 Stude that ran over 200 MPH at Bonnevilee, with the air on]. I'm pretty much a CASO, but I'll always use Vintage Air. For the few bucks difference, it's worth it for the quality, warranty, reputation, service these guys give.
                  I'm probably prejudiced. On their website is a section on customers cars. My 41 Pontiac is there with a pic of the dash install. It would have been an under dash add on deal, but their tech section explained that it works better the higher up you get it, and encouraged me to play with a dash install. Swapped out various outlets with me until I came up with that setup.
                  NO, I don't work there and I'm not related. Just really stoked about the company.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
                  "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

What unit from VA fit under the dash on a 62 hawk. I do want a unit that has air, heat, and defrost. I will run my own duct work.

Comment

Dunno where I got 'em nor to whom thie car belongs but here is a very interesting AC setup in a Packard Hawk. Have no pix of the engine compartment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk ac (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1662586Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk ac.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1662587Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk ac (1).jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1662588

John

Comment

Keep us posted please, I'm intersted in this a lot.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X